Innerbalance…, Home Buyer in Gig Harbor, WA

Can I, Seller, ask for more $ without an other offer coming in?

Asked by Innerbalancemassage1, Gig Harbor, WA Sun Nov 25, 2012

House just went on market 2 days ago, we got offer for asking price. LEGALLY can I counter offer& ask for more $? (asking $240k buyer is paying closing cost. 50% cash down) Can I ask for$248k w/ no other offers on the table?

Answers

5
It would be in your best interest to probably accept the offer. Just because you received and offer for full price so quick doesnt neccesarily mean your home was listed to low. Buyers spend alot of time looking for homes in this market. This buyer may have some real particulars about there new home and could of been looking for a year or more. Your home came available and it fit there needs. Possibly in the past they lowballed an offer and lost a house they really liked so this time around they were going forward with conviction. I hope you had a succesful sale of your home.

Kyle Graham
Dove Reatly
360 349 7940
No, historically, the best offer is your first one. Count yourself blessed you got an offer so fast. Your Real Estate Agent priced your house right. You have to price your house to where the Sold comparibles are. That is truly the market price. The only legal way you can ask for more is if the buyer wants YOU to pay their closing costs. Then you ask them to bump the price up to cover that cost. Which, is still giving you your asking price and not more.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
You can ask whatever you want. what I would consider doing instead is waiting a few days & letting your agent go to work for you to see if they can get you another offer. Then you might be more likely to get more.
Good luck, Jirius Isaac
Innerbalancemassage,
You can do whatever you want, but a full price offer may trigger a commission being due. You should also be careful, often the first offer is the best and trying to get too fancy can cause you to lose that offer and not see another for a while.
If you have legitimate competing offers, then you may be able to leverage that to get more, but again be careful or you may end up with nothing. I've seen it happen many times. You may wish to be grateful for a quick, relatively easy sale and prepare for your next step. Even this sale may not be over until it closes. You likely have an inspection and financing issues to work through.
In most cases your first offer is your best offer. You can ask the buyer for more than asking price but you also would be taking the risk of losing a buyer who is willing to pay full price of the listed price.