Question Details

L2010, Home Seller in Oswego, NY

Buyer wants the sellers to suggest post-inspection repairs??

Asked by L2010, Oswego, NY Mon Mar 25, 2013

We are selling 100 yr old, heavily updated home. We bought it only last year, and are selling due to work. When we had it inspected in 2012, we got a good detailed report...lots of little things, but nothing major and all along the lines of things you'd expect of a house this old.

Our buyer had the inspection done yesterday. The inspector was -according to our agent and the buyer's agent- very negative about the house. The buyer is now freaked, but here's the two weird things: 1) The buyer says he doesn't want to back out, but also refused to give us a list of things they want repaired/compensation for. The buyer wants us, the sellers, to look at the inspection report and come up with a list. 2) From what I can gather so far- I'll know more tomorrow after I see the report- it's really weird the buyer is this freaked out. Our agent estimates, based on what he's been told so far, that we're talking $2000 or so in repairs.

Any advice? Should we refuse to play this silly guessing game?

Answers

3
Elizabeth Bolton’s answer
I had one transaction where the buyer and buyer's agent used this approach. It was a new one on me but it worked out. They are asking what you would be willing to do. Go over the list and come up with an offer you can live with.

If you're really only talking about $2000 I say go for it. That's just not that much in the scheme of things.

To me, inspections have always been a window into human nature or character. Often people act in ways you yourself would not. I love old houses and I don't look on an inspection as a way to get everything fixed - or anything fixed actually - to me an inspection gives me my long-term to-do list and the assurance that the house isn't going to fall into the ground. But when I went to sell my old house I had to deal with a buyer who asked for a long list of repairs and for $. I cursed, swallowed hard, and gave back the equivalent of 3% of the purchase price. Eye on the prize!
The usual way how to proceed and the buyers' Agent should have advised them accordingly, but then they may still not listen, is for the buyers to present the inspection report items they are concerned about, and they can ask for them to be repaired/fixed by the seller before closing, or they can get estimates for the repairs and ask the Seller for a credit of such at the closing..... once that is done
the Seller has options
a) to accept the estimates and agree to pay such amount as credit at the closing for the buyers to do
the repairs themselves
b) The Seller can also agree to fix the repairs himself before the closing and provide copy of
the paid bills for them as proof the work has been done
c) the Seller also can refuse to do any of the two above choices, the buyer then may not want to buy the
home anymore, just depends on the buyer
d) And depending on the actual items and the actual amount in question the seller can evaluate
if he wants to pay to the buyer the full amount the buyer is asking for or suggest to split that amount
in half since the buyer will be living in the property after all fixing has been done and just
credit half of the amount of the estimates to the buyers..

If the sale is important to you and you the seller do not want to lose this buyer, you want to proceed
in a gentle but firm manner and your Agent will be the person to present your decision in a calm but
determined manner, and may also say if that is so, that the sellers do not want to lose the buyers
but.......

If the buyers are first time buyers and have never owned a home, careful, they may just have cold feet
and may be an older home may be too much of a worrisome responsibility to them.... Just have your
Realtor proceed tactfully.
Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Hello L2010,
That is very odd that the buyer won't give you a list of items he wishes to be repaired or is requesting a credit. Does the buyer have an agent representing him? He certainly is not being aggressive in pursuing repairs he may want. Perhaps you should put the ball back in his court and tell him that you won't perform any work so as to prompt him to submit which repairs he wants done. I hope that you can work things out.

Best wishes!

Laura Fefhali
Prudential Connecticut Realty