Home Selling in Chicago>Question Details

Nicole, Home Seller in Chicago, IL

Buyer agent no shows

Asked by Nicole, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 27, 2008

How often do buyer agents set showing apts and then don't show/don't call? Also, what should the sellers agent do about no show buyer agent?

Answers

4
Dear Nicole,

Just one thing that I'd add to this thread. Id' start the conversation (even if it's just emailed) with the buyer's agent with the assumption that there was an honest and unavoidable mistake made. If you're not in an attacking mode when you contact them again, then you might be able to salvage a rescheduled appointment when you talk to them. If they are professionals, then they'll usually be very apologetic and often guilt-ridden enough to "want to make it up to you" by getting their clients in to see your listing. If they're not professionals, there's still no need to match their rudeness with rudeness of your own (and thus create a reputation in the market that you're mean, rude or a hothead- even if you have every right to be). Having said all of that in my five plus years selling real estate, I have only no called no showed one single time. My client canceled on me pretty late, and I simply forgot to call the listing agent (who'd stayed late to accommodate us on the beginning of a Holiday weekend). It should not happen to you often.

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, Sudler Sotheby’s International Realty
1634 E. 53rd St. 2nd Floor Chicago, IL 60615
773-418-0640 (mobile) 312-577-0985 (fax)
Christopher.thomas@sothebysrealty.com
Nicole
Great question!
The truth is that selling your home is a business activity. We rely upon other REaltors to bring the buyers in over 90% of the sales. My suggestion is to focus on the goal of getting your home shown and sold, and not focus on no shows.

A properly priced and marketed home should receive 10-12 showings in the first two weeks, with the average of one offer as a result. Homes that sell within 30 days sell closest to asking price, so what you are looking at is two to three weeks of inconvenience to accomplish your goal.

Most Realtors with experience realize that professional behavior will yield results. Unprofessional behavior will hurt the in the long run.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Nicole,

I will usually give my seller the information to contact the buyer's agent, just incase they don't show up. That way you can call the buyer's agent directly and find out where they're at. It really helps my seller because if I happen to be at an appointment, you're not waiting around for me to call you, then call the agent, then call you back again. You can call them directly. If they don't show up, then "you" call the buyer agent's office and complain to their broker owner/manager. They'll listen more when a consumer calls because they don't want their office to look bad to the public. When we call they just come up with an excuse and say they're sorry.

There's very little that the seller's agent can do, about a no-show agent, other than to call them and let them know that it was unkind.

Sellers spend time preparing their homes for showings (vacuuming, lighting scented candles, febreezing to remove last night's Halibut dinner, taking the dogs to the neighbors) only to find that the buyer's agent never shows. It's incredibly rude.

Sometimes, as a buyer's agent, we find that "missing" a showing is unavoidable... running late... maybe the client was a true-no-show, maybe a child got ill, but that's no excuse for not calling to notify the seller's office/agent and let them know.

The seller's agent has to walk a fine line, in chastising the offending agent, since they're going to have to continue to work with this agent, and hopefully have them show their properties in the future. If this agent is a repeat offender, the seller's agent can determine if it makes sense to ban them from their showings. But they would have to be a repeat, repeat, repeat offender, in my opinion, to warrant such a ban.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL