Question Details

salvee, Home Seller in 07470

Broker Protection clause

Asked by salvee, 07470 Sat Mar 29, 2014

The Real Estate Listing/Commission Agreement contract expired. The house was for sale. A person that a broker showed the property too wants to rent it directly from me. Is broker entitled to a commission or lease fee under the "Broker Protection" clause? which is 180 days.

Answers

1
Suzanne MacDowell’s answer
This is really a legal question and real estate agents are not permitted to answer legal questions. My only question would be, was it listed for rent or just for sale? Read the contract carefully and if you are still confused, talk to an attorney.
Thanks for responding but, If your a broker you can ask a client to sign a contract but you can't explain anything that's written on the contract?
To clarify: A broker (not mine) brought this intended buyer to my home to show it. The clause says: .....Owner agrees to pay the Listing Broker the Commission if the Owner acting on the Owner's own behalf within 180 days ofter the expiration date conveys or agrees to convey the Property to any Buyer shown the property to nay Buyer by the listing Broker or any person during the term of the Listing Agreement......

I'm not selling it, now I'm renting it. is the word Buyer literal, or just referring to anyone buying or renting within that 180 day period.
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014