Home Selling in Parma>Question Details

Jack Sparrow, Other/Just Looking in Parma, OH

Bowed wall in the basement

Asked by Jack Sparrow, Parma, OH Mon May 5, 2008

What is the acceptable way to fix a bowed foundation in the basement so that the buyer will be satisfied and will not ask to reduce the price due to the fix

Answers

6
I second that--get a structural engineer now, and follow the recommendations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
You should consult a structural engineer. You do need to get it fixed before selling; structural problems (even those easily correctable) scare away many owners.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
best way to fix is is to replace it...............either do it right or run the risk of not
getting an underwriter to approve the loan............or look to sell it to a
contractor at a very reduced cash price.................
Steel beams,normally 4-6 ft apart,get a warranty that can tranfer to new buyer,you'll have to deal w/it now or later.

TJ
Web Reference: http://tjroberts.remax.com
I agree with the others on this. However make sure that you get a couple of opinions and estimates on the fix. I recently had a home inspector who noted a bow in a basement wall during the inspections then gave the buyers agent a quote to fix. I find this self serving on the inspectors part as he has a business selling basement dewatering and repairs (where he makes the bulk of his money). The bow was less than an inch over a 8' wall and according to ASCHI this does not warrant a repair. There where no cracks or water problems in the basement. The buyer agreed to accept the property.