Home Selling in San Jose>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in San Jose, CA

Blinds or curtains (or even bare windows) for home going on the market? (A mid sized, normal, non-luxury home)

Asked by Home Owner, San Jose, CA Thu Apr 12, 2012

We had our blinds removed since they are so full of grime. Should we replace them with new faux wood blinds, vertical blinds, shades, curtains or just leave the windows bare? We don't have any significant views and it's just a home in the normal suburbs. It would definitely be cheaper to go with curtains.

The house will be empty when going on the market. What would buyers like better? Curtains, blinds, or nothing at all?

Answers

32
Mid grade blinds are great. No curtains and do not go bare.

Jim Mauldwin
Intero Real Estste
408-482-0992
DRE # 01125380 since 1991
Web Reference: http://jimmauldwin.com
most of the staged houses I have seen on the internet have no window coverings. the mantra is "Light sells. look up "staged houses" on the internet and look at examples of what they are doing. the really home sellers use a home stager..
Flag Sat Aug 9, 2014
I think it was an excellent decision to remove the old blinds, but don't leave them bare. The style of blinds that you should get really depends on your individual home. Since you are moving, I wouldn't spend a fortune on them. Just get something that looks new. I am really in love with vertical blinds right now.

http://www.aeroshadeco.com
Flag Tue Aug 5, 2014
Since you are moving out, put up beautiful, but inexpensive (not dark, not dramatic and not easy to wrinkle) curtains. Make sure that they are not too high from the floor (that looks bad without the furniture in). The curtains should be hanging on each side of the window, letting the light in - for the showings. Also important - to make your windows clean and sparkling.

This is what buyers love and will appreciate (and it will pay off).

I would not invest into anything else expensive at this point.

I would also have your realtor stage the house (at least the kitchen and the baths).
You can also stage it yourself (with new white towels in the baths, new soap, a candle), bright kitchen towel in the kitchen, some red, orange, yellow and green details (cookie bowls) to make the house look "happy".

Each dollar spent will return at least threefold. Promise.

Irina Karan
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 13, 2012
I've been around real estate since I was a teen in the 50's helping an adult friend with some of the very first open houses. Blinds were always preferred over curtains from the start - anything to keep a clean look.

And a comment on 'staging', which in real life means more or less theatrically presented. Bragging about it, such as stating in the ad 'house is staged!' negates the whole purpose. You don't want prospective buyers to notice the artifice involved. That realtor might just as well say - 'I'll be wearing make-up!/ My best suit!'

When I see too many candles or 'happy' items I get mildly cynical and from talking to others I know they do too. For one, I expect a bigger price tag. Make it clean and uncluttered and let go - houses sell in a hot market, sit in a cool market and realtors can only effect things to a small extent.
Flag Fri Aug 1, 2014
I would say provide some light covering done tastefully. If curtains work for you, put some curtains, when showing the house, pull some back, or to the side for effects. Staging is always a good idea, it shows the possibilities in your home, makes it warm and welcoming. A little bit of investment can give you the advantage.

Best of luck
Monica Goyal
Coldwell Banker
408-476-0675
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
My buyers don't like the added expense of having to purchase window coverings at the same time as all the other expenses related to a home purchase. If there is a sliding door that leads to the exterior, I recommend a good quality vertical blind with a pull wand not a retractable pulley cord. The windows that face the front of the home would benefit from faux wood shutters. Bedrooms look nice with something called honeycomb shades. My favorite mfg. of these products is Hunter Douglas. For some ideas, visit http://www.hunterdouglas.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
Buyers definitely like to see some "texture". If your house is going to be empty when it goes on the market, you would most likely benefit from some nice staging. You don't even have to go with the full-blown package. Check out the pictures in the link below of a home I sold recently that had what I call "light staging" that was very inexpensive and made the empty house look real nice. And yes, it was "just a home in the normal suburbs" like you said! :-)
-Bart
Web Reference: http://2124Warburton.info
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
Your agent should be able to advise you.

I find that most buyers would prefer to pick out their own window coverings. Light curtains for security, privacy may be the better choice.
Web Reference: http://www.TerriVellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
I would definitely replace them. The value of your home will go up if you do. Obviously blinds are absolutely necessary for keeping people's privacy, so the next owner will definitely want blinds. Luckily, purchasing blinds is a fairly easy process. Good luck selling your home. I hope that's helpful! http://www.gotchacoveredwf.com/blinds/index.php
I would recommend blinds over curtains. Leaving them bare will make buyers feel like they are going to have a big expense before moving into your home and may go with one that already has the blinds in place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 7, 2014
Can not have bare window. People see you on the street. Suggest something that provides ample lighting...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 6, 2014
Personally, I think blinds are the way to go. They are much more adjustable than curtains. They are also much easier to vacuum around. There are a plethora of styles available, so you should be able to find something that suits you.

http://fandrinteriors.com/p-11156-blinds.html
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2014
This is a topic of some disagreement. Some people think you should strip your house down as much as possible when selling so that buyers can see the "blank slate" and fill in the rest with their imagination. Other people think that you need to make it look livable. I'm sort of on the first side of the fence. Then again, it is a matter that is still debated to this day.
http://www.aeroshadeco.com/los-angeles-shades/
I think it's better to put something in to keep people from trying to break in when they notice an empty house. In my opinion blinds would generally be better. Curtains would work fine as long as they aren't too see-through. If you're not worried about that possibility then you'd probably be fine leaving the windows uncovered. I don't think there is going to be much to focus on in terms of buyer preference though. They'll be more concerned with the way the house is kept and other things like that. I don't imagine there being a significant impact based solely on blinds or curtains.
http://www.jostar.com/en/products.html
I think that it is a great idea to replace your old blinds. You will be surprised what a huge difference clean and new blinds can make on the look of a room and home. There are all kinds of styles and colors to choose from. Best of luck! http://www.windowaccessoriesak.com/services
Keep the following in mind when making your selection: 1) if the window covering darkens the room DON'T DO IT; 2) provide simple and economical 2" or larger wood (or wood-like) blinds in all bedrooms; 3) stay away from fabric valances and functioning draperies as they are typically more expensive and very taste specific and 4) single width stationary fabric panels in living room and dining room hung at minimum 90" off floor will add sense of design and custom quality so long as they are very neutral, compliment wall color vs contrast and are not too short. Just because you supply windows coverings in some rooms does not mean that you must provide coverings on all windows. Avoid vertical blinds and mini blinds.
Yes, I agree -- even cheap blinds are better than bare windows. Neutral white or ivory.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
I think a lot depends on who you think the potential buyer of the property is. If you think this will be a first time homebuyer, you absolutely need window coverings. You want to remove fear from the equation, not insert more uncertainty. If you think instead that it will be bought by someone moving up from another home, then I think this is less important.

I'd go with blinds over curtains, as they're more neutral.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
This is a question that desperately needs the input from a good San Jose Realtor. In my area Bare can work here because some homes have great views but for other areas the house would look abandoned.
I would say yes, go ahead and replace those with nice new window coverings. It will add to the appeal when the house is shown.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
I prefer using something very simple that will still brighten up the rooms and allow light in. Stay away from anything heavy looking.
How did it go since

Apr 12, 2012.
Medium priced blinds from Lowes or HD will do. The color matching to accentuate the home is the key to make the house stand out. The European orange color may be objectionable or loved by others.
I would go with the faux wood blinds. I think they add a modern look to the house. With the wood blinds, they could increase the value of the house for potential buyers too!

Will Jenkins | http://www.gotchacoveredwf.com/blinds/index.php
I'm personally a bigger fan of some custom blinds. As to what type, I like the sound of those faux wood blinds. It sounds like those would be easy to keep up on so you don't get that grime again. http://www.windowtreatmentlosangeles.com/custom-blinds.html
Hello Home Owner, you could just leave an allowance noted with the sale of the home for whatever the buyer wants. Are you ready to list and buy another home?

Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
20+ Years Experience
BRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
9am till 7pm Monday thru Saturday, Sundays by appt.
Under640FicoScoreLoans@gmail.com or HomeLoans4U@live.com
http://youtu.be/MrygA2_8fAY
If my response was helpful, consider clicking thumbs up or Best Answer!
Anything over bare windows will improve the look of an empty home.
I just sold a home and took the curtains down and put up panels tied in the middle so it lets the light in but also can be closed up at night. Faux wood blinds are also a great option because someone can move right in and have window covering and they are not very expensive to buy or install.
You can always work with your realtor to see what works best for your home and go with whatever ends up being the best match of good-looking and cost-effective.
I like so many of the answers here, and then what I like to do is take a look at homes that are on the market in your area and "pretend" you are a buyer. So you can see what the other houses look like. In North Valley, where I live, blinds would always go better than curtains. Willow Glen has a little bit of a different flavor. So check out the competition!

I would usually say blinds because they don't have a personality compared to curtains, and curtains tend to run "subjective," and I would say that some window cover is better than open windows unless the home has a wickedly beautiful view -- then open windows is good.

Considering what you have wrote and from a cost perspective, I would suggest simple neutral tone and inexpensive blinds. You may also consider neutral sheers if curtains appeal to you. Good luck to you.
I think wood blinds look great! A lot of buyers like to see wood blinds in homes. Make sure that you put on the REPC that the blinds and/or curtains will be excluded from the home.
This question falls into the same category as: how should I style my hair, what dress should I wear . . . it depends, doesn't it?

I suggest hiring a stager or designer - they really work cheaply - and have them advise you on what the best solution is for your particular home.

That is a totally personal decision. Buyers are interested in the MACRO home when they look at it. Insignificant blinds don't really make a great deal of difference and probably not bring you any more money.

Cathy Barton
Allison James Estates and Homes

Rochester, NY
Thank you for your question:

As the others have pointed out, bare windows a very big negative.

The people who will pay you the most money for your house, will not buy a house that they cannot move into without first doing something to the house. If there are no window coverings, the buyer has to get some, and install them before the buyer can move into the house.

Without window coverings you will miss the segment of the market that will pay you the most money for your house.

You should have some window coverings.

Whether those window coverings are blinds or curtains does not seem to make a great amount of difference, as long as they can be closed for privacy.

I recommend that you go with the window coverings that you prefer, as long as they can be closed for privacy.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872