Home Selling in Edison>Question Details

Kathristin, Home Buyer in East Windsor, NJ

At what point in the timeline of the sale of a home do you apply for the CCO/FD inspections?

Asked by Kathristin, East Windsor, NJ Fri Nov 23, 2012

I am selling my home in Edison and we just got out of attorney review less than a week ago (due to delays caused by the buyers attorney). The appraisal and home inspection were done a few days ago, but the reports are not back yet. The original closing date was supposed to be next week. We made the request for the inspections and because of the backlog due to hurricane Sandy, we can't get them done until after the original closing date. The buyers are now blaming us for the delay of closing. Wouldn't it have been silly for us to apply for the CCO any earlier being we didn't even know if the deal would go through (we actually still don't). Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


Another important matter, every lending institution has varying conditions when issuing mortgage commitments to the buyers. Some issue a mortgage commitment conditional upon receiving an appraisal and others order the appraisal before issuing a commitment. So your agent needs to find out which is the case with your deal so there is no surprises.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
An Amendment should have been drawn immediatedly and signed by both the buyers and sellers extending the deadlines for all the contingencies on your contract because of the delay. This shouldnt be happening to you right now.

Regarding the ordering of your certs, whether I represent the sellers or buyers, I always call the Municipality where the property is located to check the zoning and fire status before submitting a contract or posting a listing to ensure there wont be any gliches. If there are any discrepancies they can be addressed before the contract is signed. This is a good safeguard that I always follow. In this way, the sellers know the cost, cert and time requirements.

Once the contract is signed, and the Home Inspection and termite are completed and any issues are resolved we then wait for the appraisal to come in for the value on contract. Once this is accomplished, the seller should order the CCO and Fire Inspections. As all the aforementioned is accomplished, I normally check that we are in compliance with the deadlines on the contract. If not, then an Amendment is drawn up to facilitate the necessary time needed.

Following these guidelines normally insures a better outcome for both the buyers and sellers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Thanks so much everyone.!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
I recommend once the inspection contingencies are settled, the appraisal completed and the buyer has a mortgage commitment, it's usually safe to order the CCO.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
I believe they re only valid for three months. So I wouldn't do it before three months before a closing date.
That said, in reference to the particulars of your deal, if the home inspection report isn't back, I wouldn't have applied for the CO yet. So you're good. I think you're ahead of where you should be, and the buyers could have gone and done it themselves, no one would have stopped them. All they would need is entry to the property at the time the inspectors were showing up. I am sure you would not have denied this. So tell them to quit their belly aching.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
I ask for the Certificate of Occupancy inspection before home inspection. If there are problems we then have time to correct them, and respond to issues that might be raised by the home inspector.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2012
Most towns have a way for you to expedite the CO inspection
ditto to what Gloria said
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer