Home Selling in Fond du Lac>Question Details

Lynn Burgess, Home Seller in Fond du Lac, WI

As a seller do I understand that my agent is working for me, however I don't hear from her unless she shares a viewing report. Suggestions?

Asked by Lynn Burgess, Fond du Lac, WI Tue Feb 4, 2014

I have a six month contract which is three months out. I am quite upset about the lack of attention, no offer of an open house. She was the agent I used when I bought the house 1 3/4 years ago.

Answers

5
Lynn
That's very unfortunate. In my opinion she should give you a weekly or at least every other week report. When I list a home I ask my sellers how often they wish to be updated. Some prefer weekly while others only after a showing. If it is important for you to be updated on a more regular basis, even if there is little to report, I'm sure your agent will accommodate you. Honest communication between you and your agent is extremely important.
Tony
Hi Lynn,

Since you purchased the house from your agent, you must have a good relationship so sharing your concerns is something they'd like to hear.Tell your agent how often you want to be contacted. Share with your agent that you want an open house and a brokers open. Review with your agent the marketing strategy of selling your home. Maybe your home hasn't sold yet because of the cold weather in your area and there may not be as many buyers out looking now. But if that is the case, be ready by doing your part. Be sure your doing your part by cleaning, de-cluttering and staging your home. Think HGTV ready - make it look like MS. Clean & perfect live there! Be sure to look at the pictures online to be sure you like what you see! The interior pictures of your house is really going to help get buyers in your door. Another thing you can do if you haven't already, is look at your competition and be sure your house looks the best of all your competition. Make sure your listening to your agents recommendations of the price - if your overpriced, you won't get traffic! Good Luck!
Thank you Troyce, Tony and Rick! Let me be clear that I am not asking why the house hasn't sold, but sharing that I am quite frustrated in the lack of TLC I have received! I have just moved out of my house and it is almost empty. The realtor will provide additional staging. I am quite happy with the traffic during the winter months and am not concerned about it selling. What I am baffled by is the lack of contact and communication from my realtor. I will contact her tomorrow and see that we have a time to really talk. She is a very busy lady and I'm afraid that is the issue. She excels in showing homes and I did have an excellent relationship with her. We both agree that the house "pops" and know that listing it at the first of November with subsequent below zero weather and snow storms didn't help. And YET it was shown during Christmas week, which to me says a lot. I will be direct (always difficult for me) and let her know my feelings. Thanks!
Flag Tue Feb 4, 2014
Well, Lynn, we never know what the "right" amount of contact is. Sometimes we ask; sometimes, we make assumptions.

I would like it if my clients told me how often or under what circumstances they'd like to hear from me.

Communication, it is said, is a two-way street.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 4, 2014
Thanks Mack. You're right. I will be direct!
Flag Wed Feb 5, 2014
Hello Lynn,

When you signed the listing agreement, did your agent review her marketing plan with you? To be honest open houses are not the best tool to find buyers in today's market. Buyers have several options for locating properties, one BIG one being the web.

Most serious buyers will be working with an agent, not going to open houses on the weekend. Your agent may not believe open house to be the best way to market your home.

In fact there is quit a bit of debate among agents if open houses are even relevant any more.

Now if the home has been on the market for three months and you have not had any offers, you may want t o reevaluate the list price. Nothing scares would be buyers away faster than an over priced home.

Your agent proved herself to you once, please allow her to perform for you again. Also keep in mind there will be fewer buyers in the market during the winter months, which means pricing the home right is more crucial.

I wish you the very best!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Berkshire Hathaway Home Service
Seal Beach ,Ca
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 4, 2014
Hello Lynn,

I do understand it can be very frustrating when you are not getting the communication that you are looking for and this is a problem in our industry. The first thing I would ask you is whether or not this was all talked about before you listed your house. Did you set the expectations for your agent when you were interviewing her/him? Did you interview several different agents to figure out that you had chosen the right one?

Whether you did this or not is irrelevant at this point but going forward you need to find a way to communicate your expectations to your agent. Let them know that you would like to get a weekly update or whatever it is that you would like communicated to you.

As for the open house there are a lot of different takes on the effectiveness of an open house. To a lot of agents out there open houses have become a thing of the past. And in todays market were buyers have easy access to the internet we just don't see the same amount of traffic for open houses.

But here is the reality of your situation. You could talk to your agent every single day about why your house is not selling and get updates on every single showing. Is that going to solve your dilemma?You want your house sold! Maybe there is something else you need to look at for the reason your house is not selling. It is very easy to point the finger and say it is all your fault but that is not going to get your house sold.

Here are a few things i would be looking at:
1. Are there any new comparable sales that justify my Sales Price.
2. Am i priced to high for the market?
3. How much inventory is there around me? Buyers or sellers market?
4. What are other houses selling for?
5. What is the feedback I am receiving on my showings?

Hope this helps.

Rick Chambers
Keller Williams
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 4, 2014