Question Details

George Anton…, Real Estate Pro in 06443

As a Seller, would you rather list your property with an individual or a team?

Asked by George Antonopoulos, 06443 Wed Aug 8, 2007

Answers

12
It will depend on how comfortable are you of being around and talking to different people each time. I will say this: In this type of market a team will be a good option. Having the opinion of different real estate agents sharing their knowledge and their different level of experience, discussing what stradegies will work better on marketing and achieving the sell of your property will be an advantage to have. My recomendation will be to interview as many agents and as many teams you can. You will know with who you will feel the most comfortable.
Hi George,

To be able to offer a team of dedicated professionals; each specializing in different elements, is so powerful. The key is that this team has to run like a well oiled machine; otherwise it could just be chaotic for all involved

Melissa Mancini, Realtor, CBR, GRI
Web Reference: http://MelissaBMancini.com
interesting question. as a seller i would prefer to work with an individual as there would only be one person to stream questions to and accoundablity to.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
With real estate I prefer to use an individual with maybe an assistant. One of the main reasons being what the others have said - miscommunication or lack thereof. It makes every transaction a nightmare. While obtaining the mortgage for my clients, there have been several instances where I work with the buyer's agent's team and it is just too much trouble. I would get three calls a day from different people wanting updates about the same thing, and when asking questions, I am fed different answers by different people since I could never get in touch with one person all the time.

As a seller, I would imagine the same experience would occur. Even if there is constant communication there are always instances when e-mail or the inter-office messaging system is backlogged. Any moment of failed communication provides a weak link where everyone starts falling over each other. Individuals and perhaps one assistant tend to be able to communicate better with each other and keep on top of all necessary things. Not to say that all teams are dysfunctional, there are some teams that work quite well together I'm sure but from my experiences, it has been difficult to get things done efficiently with teams.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
Wow, really good question! I went with my last agency because of the team approach and it backfired. In this case, the team was only as good as the weakest link. Being that you are an agent, you have to decide which works better for you and then sell your clients what you have chosen. Coming up with the pros and cons of each are easy, deciding which is best is asking which came first, the chicken or the egg.
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
In my experience an individual...but it depends on the team. Some teams just don't function well. You're dealing with individual people who don't talk to each other. This makes it difficult on everyone involved. If you're getting feedback from one person, updates from another, closing info from another, listing promises for another....I just don't think that works well. If you deal with one person from that team and they are accountable to you...that's what I like. There are benefits to a team...it just depends on how they function. I would not want to be given a list of telephone numbers that says...if you have questions about marketing call X, if you have questions about closing call Y, if you have questions about your contract call Z. If you get someone like this your a number and they don't care if your home will sell or not.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
I have no preference. I sold a home with an individual with a successful; quick sale. She was efficient and quite hard working. I sold another home with a husband & wife team and found them delightful to work for - committed - and probably the reason I became a real estate agent.

Team or Individual - it's really about accountability. Sometimes one can do the same as two or three people much more efficiently because only one person is driving the car.... whereas, two can cover more ground at one time - and cover should the other be unavailable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
There are several ways to look at this question. A team offers a seller more than one person to accomplish all the task of listing and marketing a property. It also offers more than one opinion on issues that may arise during the course of the transaction. This can be a good thing. On the other hand, an individual agent offers accountability from one source. The buck stops only in one place. There is only one person to look to for providing service to the seller, and its less chance that miscommunications will arise. Most agents have resources available to them through their offices to cover if they are incapacitated for one reason or the other. It all goes back to what feels comfortable to the seller. Any seller should go with what feels right to them. Both teams or individuals are no better than their level of commitment to their client. Therefore a seller should interview agents and check out the people that they are hiring to assist them in selling their property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
A team that functions well and communicates well will outperform an individual, hands down. The problem is that most teams are not highly functional, so that creates a reality where many individuals do outperform a team. Every caution and concern mentioned earlier in the thread are legitimate. The cause however, is not a fault with the concept of a team. It is the structure, organization, and management of the team.

A seller needs to clearly understand who they are hiring, who will be their contact person, and learn if the team being considered is well oiled or not.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
I think Ellen and Ruth make good points- the team is only as good as it's weakest link and there is potential for miscommunication. I think it is more important to go with an agent who is on board with their sellers, helps guide them to pick a realistic price for the listing, and has a solid marketing plan that they follow through with. The team approach doesn't serve the seller unless they have faith in all members, and their roles are very clearly defined.

That being said, I AM part of a team, but we have very separate roles in the transaction. I have a web marketing background and do all of the promotion for the listing, and the CA/NV broker salesman I am partnered with has 30 years working with investment properties and luxury homes, and focuses on the contracts and negotiations. This really works well from our standpoint, and we feel our specialized roles best serves our clients.
Web Reference: http://buytahoehomes.com
I think the answer is ...depends. Depends on the team and the individual.

On my team, sellers work with a team member and team leader and therefore receive the benefit of the leader's experience. They also have two other Realtors that can assist them if their chosen Realtor is otherwise occupied.
The team approach is a sign of the times. What most agents fail to realize is the power in numbers. When most consumer complaints focus on lack of communication, having more than one agent is extremely beneficial. Our team of three has been very successful and we market this approach with all of our prospective listings. The key is to establishing the lead agent on an account and having the remaining members poised and ready to field inquiries from the clients and other members of the transaction . Being interchangeable is important and it allows for immediate response times and keeps the transaction moving forward.