Home Selling in Lexington>Question Details

Bbnodice, Home Seller in South Carolina

Are you required to obtain a "Termite Letter" in south carolina when selling a home?

Asked by Bbnodice, South Carolina Fri May 13, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Laws have changed. Unless your Lender requires it on the type of loan you are getting OR it is written somewhere in the contract, it is NOT required but I highly recommend since the southeast is notorious for termites and the termite linspection also checks the wood moisture contract underneath the house, water damage and if there is any signs of water getting under the home. Slab construction will need to be inspected for termite/water damage as well. Hope this helps!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 2, 2012

In SC, the buyer's lender will require a termite letter to be sure that the property is clear of termite problems. This is something that the attorney and the buyer's lender will ask you for. If you have a termite bond and it is transferable, then it is better for you as the seller and the buyer as well.

Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 28, 2011
The requirement for the "CL100" is usually something required by the buyers bank. I often see buyers pay for it themselves. In some cases, the buyers lender does not allow the buyer to pay for it but does require they have it, so it may be something that the seller is asked to do.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 24, 2011
It will depend on the bank. Some require it some won't. If you have a transferrable termite bond on the home, I would suggest including that in your marketing material (small reference), as a benefit to those who will not be required to secure a clean WDO (wood destroying organism) Report.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 13, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer