Ashaburtell, Home Buyer in Carleton, MI

Are there any realtors who would accept a commission that is lower than 6 % ? We are about to put our house on the market in the 48124 zip.

Asked by Ashaburtell, Carleton, MI Mon Dec 17, 2012

The house is about $ 5 K "above water", but with all the fees and realtor's commission it might not be worth to sell after all.
Are there any "discount" realtors?

Answers

12
You'll always be able to find a discount agent, but expect discount services. The old adage "you get what you pay" is still true. Would you really want an agent who doesn't think enough of themselves and the job that they do that they would be willing to discount their services. And, if you can get an agent to list for 5% or even 4%, think about what they would be offering the buyer's agent. At a 5% split, the buyer's agent would be looking at 2-1/2% and at 4% split, the buyer's agent would be looking at only 2%. Why then would a buyer's agent want to show their clients your house when they could show them a similar house down the street for a full 3% commision.

There is a lot of work in properly marketing a house, negotiating a contract getting you the best price and terms, responding to inspection reports, working with lenders and getting the house to the closing table. I don't understand why people feel agents should work for free or discounted rates. If your boss ask you to take a cut in pay after you did a great job, what would you do?

Kathyt Persha, Realtor
Nextage Advanced Realty
248-930-0198
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 17, 2012
Posted Dec 2012.

Discounts REALTORS......
I found a great discount Saturday at the Walmart....the Crest toothpaste was much less than what I pay at the local Publix. "Pay less, live better" Yahoo!

When I got home the box contained a 6.4 oz tube, not the 8.2 oz I thought I was buying.
I did get exactly what I paid for.

Yes there are discount REALTORS. Be sure to scroll through the Agent to Agent questions to observe the problems they get into.
Avoid the national companies and look for Realtors who work for smaller, local companies. Personally, I use to work for a couple of the national brands and between large monthly fees and large commission splits, I had to charge at least 6% or my income wasn't worth a thing. I can now charge as low as 4% and make more money than I did before. I don't know about Michigan, but here in NC some flat fee companies are also springing up. Use Google and search your area.
I think that is is acceptable to expect a realtor to be paid 3% commission for a client that they bring in to look at a house that is "for sale by owner". The owner is acting as his own realtor and therefore the realtor is make the same commission that they would if there was a listing realtor.
Give me a call on my cell (313) 310-9855 I will be glad to work with you if you haven't sold it already
I truely believe the 6% commission and all your real estate closing cost is going to be a problem. This is a Seller's market now. So, give me a call and so we can see how much your home is really worth right now.
Kathy and Michael gave great comprehensive answers. Although you will be able to find someone that will cut their commission, that is not enough reason to hire that person.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 22, 2012
Realtor's commissions as a general rule are not set in stone, they are negotiable. And it depends
on your home, the location, size etc. how much work will be required to market, advertise and sell
your home. I am sure you want to work with a full service brokerage, but if and when you discuss
the services with the Realtor, and you agree with the Realtor that some items of marketing and advertising you mutually agree are not that important, and the Brokerage and your Listing agent then
may agree to a particular commission. Remember that part of that commission will go to the
Agent who is bringing the buyer, and there will be only so much a brokerage and Listing agent
will be able to do.... But sit down and discuss the options...

There is not such a thing as a discount Realtor...... Just that a certain commission for a certain
property is negotiated between the parties....

If you need recommendations for a local Realtor in your area, let us know.
Always also remember you get what you are paying for.... So discuss the correct list price
and potential sale price AND THE POSSIBLE NET TO SELLER IN DETAIL WITH THE
REALTOR YOU INTEND TO HIRE AND LIST YOUR HOME WITH.

Good luck to you.

Hope this helps...

Most Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life and your Chicago and Northern Illinois
and RElocation Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients
at @Properties North Shore
Edith speaks French, German, Spanish & more
Get to know Edith and her Service her website is
http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com
Tough decision. I agree with Kathy that there are discount, or new agents who would be willing to lower their commission so they can get experience trying to handle your home sale...

However, if you think you are close to breaking even, then you need someone that can 1. place the appropriate market value on your property, 2. give you a list of repairs that will improve the offers you receive - and cover the cost of repair, and, 3. then be able to market and negotiate on your behalf for the greatest return.

Marketing a home is only one thing Agents do. Navigating the contractual details in the offers, as well as title issues and negotiating to your advantage are equally important.

The market is your greatest challenge and your best friend. It is currently a seller's market because there are fewer homes on the market, the economy is growing and pent up buyer demand is high.

Given this market, you may be surprised to see what your house is worth. The market value of your home may cover the full commission and provide a return to you, as well. Getting to that point involves too many strategies to detail here, and the right set of strategies will depend on your specific situation. Interview a couple of local Agents and listen for similarities in strategy.

You are asking if you can "get by" with a discount Agent, when you might want to ask who can best help me MAXIMIZE my return when selling my home? Hope that helps! Good luck!

I can help you find that local agent, too. Just let me know.

Mike Shebak
Keller Williams
248-504-6605
Probably. You just got to ask around. I'm sure someone in the area would be willing to work with you...
Maybe you could try selling it on your own.
I might be able to do 5% commission. Please give me a call tomorrow or email me to discuss options.

Joe Bertera
Remerica Hometown One
248.521.6443
http://www.joebertera.com
joebertera@gmail.com