Home Selling in Stoneham>Question Details

Peter, Both Buyer and Seller in 02180

Are there any good agents out there? I have heard stories of great agents that come to your place,

Asked by Peter, 02180 Thu Feb 14, 2008

recommend all the fixes that you should do prior to selling your place (and also point you to the reasonable and honest contractors to carry out the jobs). However, it is almost time for me to sell my house, but from interviewing a couple of agents, I only see agents that want to add your house into their portfolio to increase their chance of making the commission. They would only offer marginal advices, and do not seem to have any connections or knowledge to complete the sell with the lowest cost, shortest time, and highest return. Does anyone know of a good agent around the Stoneham, MA area?

Thanks!

Answers

14
You definitely seem to know what you are talking about. A lot of agents would take overpriced listings and than get the seller to reduce the price until it is sold or expired.
They get additional exposure and the phone ringing, so there is no downside in having listings lingering around. At some point the whole street and the neighborhood know realtors name because of the for sale sign that they pass every day.
You seem to know what you want so go with your gut. Get some recommendations from your friends, family, walk in into a Real-estate office and just see who you meet there.
Ask specific question like how they will market your home, how will they look for buyers, what is setting them apart form other realtors? The good realtor should have the some sort of a informative package to offer you about current market, company, some sort of hand -outs about home selling, staging etc. Are they going to provide you with professional looking sheets or brochures about your property, are they going to keep you up to date with the market, are they going to call you weekly to touch base with you, are they offering any extras to the public (like chocolates with the picture of your home on it, or something else that will keep the people talking), are they willing to roll up their sleeves and help out if needed, are they going to contact other agent to let them know about your listing, will they notify the neighbors via postcard about your home and so on .
Do not over improve your home. As long as you paint and stage it to look and feel neutral like a model home you will be fine.
Visit some OH in your are to see what is offered at what price. Who knows perhaps you will meet your agent there. Just stay away from agents that are pointing out negatives in the house and tell you that the seller will settle for less.

Best of luck
I think it is time to meet some more agents. The agents job is not to list your home but to help you sell it. It sounds like you are on track Knowing that you must get your home ready before market. A great agent can and will bring you the right contractors that he or she has used. Lowest cost , Shortest time , and highest return ? If they can tell you they can guarantee this Hire them No on second thought Run
Web Reference: http://www.Soldnew.com
Guess Peter found a good agent on Truia after five months. My assumption was wrong, then.

Best and let us know how it went.

Sylvia
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 28, 2008
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
Interview your agents. Make sure they are Realtors. Try to find an agent that is professional,experienced and educated. There are plenty of good agents out there. I would be happy to interview. If I can help you in anyway please email me at lgdamico@c21damico.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 6, 2008
We are in Stoneham and do all these things we do however only sell multifamily and investment property. If that is what you have then I have answered your question, give me a call.

I would suggest to you that a real estate agent does his job in order to be compensated for it - that is the nature of all business, I would assume you do not work for free either.

"Adding properties to [one's] portfolio" as you put it is a terrible business plan. Who wants a bunch of listings that aren't selling? An agent only gets paid when they close a sale. In a declining market I submit that most agents are looking to sell your home, not "add it to their portfolio"

Lay out some objective criteria with which you will ultimately qualify the agent, experience, commission rate, location, whatever it is, you decide.If you're looking for the lowest cost and the best agent I would submit to you that you will not find what you are looking for as it does not exist. Good service providers don't have to discount. If however you are looking for a professional who will get the job done in the shortest amount of time with the aim of the achieving the highest NET to you then I'd say there are great many options available to you.

If your property is a single family or a condo I suggest you call Craig Foley 617-470-4554 - I know him personally and professionally. He is an outstanding residential agent in the area who can offer you the connections, and expertise you've mentioned you require.
Web Reference: http://www.provestre.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 14, 2008
There are lots of good agents. Ask for references from friends. For me personally, I never want to take a listing that I can't sell. Too much hard work goes into a listing just to have inventory and play a numbers game.

I love to hear a seller that realizes some work needs to be done before listing a home. I would also highly recommend a home staging consultation.

Getting a home sold in this market requires several things.

One- Preparation, getting your home to stand out among the competition.

Two- Pricing, getting the proper price on your home coming out of the gate. A home priced properly and goes underagreement in the first 30 days will usually net more money for a seller rather that stagnating on the market and requiring several price changes.

Three- Presentation, an agent that will leverage your property on the internet. In today's real estate market it is important to realize your first showing is online!!

Lastly, I think its so important to realize that selling a home is a collaborative effort between both the agent and the seller. It is important to have open and honest communication. Your agent needs to provide accurate market data and have a strong concise marketing plan. As a seller you can't be afraid to ask questions and contribute thoughts and ideas.....
As a listing agent, I can recommend many small fixes but I always suggest a home staging consultation to my home sellers... A home staging consultation will range in cost from $150- several hundred dollars. A home stager is an expert in preparing a home for the market place and it is money well spent.
Web Reference: http://www.thehousewiz.com
Sylvia I completely agree with you….I was actually wondering why your post was there until read I it. I suppose the agents do not know where the date is on the posting.
Just wondering if anybody noticed this is a post from February? I would hope Peter found an agent by now.

There were suggestions to Trulia to put a timelimit on certain questions because Real Estate is time senstive.

Oh well, I just added another answer here.

Sylvia
I do offer advice on my listing presentations, but I can see how far I can go. Many people get very offended when asked to declutter, for example, and many times I'm just told "I'm not doing that".
Hello, I do not know if you've already found a great realtor, but if not you can look no further! My name is Katherine Waters-Clark. I am a realtor with REMAX Leading Edge, and I list and sell homes in Stoneham, MA. I am known for my integrity and high quality service. I would be happy to talk to you about your real estate needs. I have just sold 31 Warren Street in Stoneham, and am currently selling 49 Stevens Street in Stoneham. I would be happy to give you testimonials from my clients. Please feel free to contact me at kwatersclark@leadingedgeagents.com. You can also feel free to visit my website at http://www.katherinewatersclark.com. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. Katherine
A good place to start is CRS.com. The CRS designation is held by only 2% to 4% of the agents in the country and represents someone who takes their profession seriously enough to invest many many many hours - and dollars - in furthering their education in real estate.

When I look for an agent to refer to in a distant location, that is my criteria.

Barbara Madaras, CRS

My name is Dan Fabbri and I am a Realtor with Century 21 Advance Realty. I consider myself an excellent agent for some of the following reasons: I put my clients 1st, I gave all my clients printed marketing reports every two weeks, I tell the truth, I work hard and am full time all the time, I have vast knowledge of the interent and all types of marketing, I only represent sellers, I have my own team within the C/21 system and most importantly I have a very good success ratio selling all types of homes.

A sale on average every 7 days or better, 21 years in RE, over 1400 homes sold, top 1% of Realtors in USA.

If you would like to interview me kindly call me at 1-781-395-2121x230 or visit my site at http://www.danfabbri.com

Thank you.
Dan Fabbri
1-781-395-2121x230
dan@danfabbri.com
http://www.danfabbri.com
http://www.mabroker.com
Web Reference: http://www.danfabbri.com