Mike Kinding…, Home Buyer in 33040

Are Non-Transient Rental Licenses difficult to get? How long does it take and how do you go about it?

Asked by Mike Kindinger, 33040 Fri Oct 5, 2007

I am looking to buy a house in Key West in the next year or so and would like to rent it part of the time. I have been doing research and understand that Transient Rental Licenses are no longer available. Are Non-Transient Rental Licenses difficult to get? How long does it take and how do you go about it?

Answers

5
Hi Mike, i
You will need to make sure that rental are allowed in the area you are purchasing (for example, some condos do not allow rentals)
If you are looking to rent your home for more than 30 days per rental, you will need an occupational license from the city of Key West. Currently less than $20 per year. Key West Occupational License Division .......... 305-292-8131
If rentals are less than 6 months, you will also be required to file and pay a sales tax return on the rental.
I would love to help you find your home in Paradise (and with any other questions you may have - please contact Derek Norman at 305-797-3387 or islandhomes@hotmail.com. http://www.WeSellTheKeys.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 24, 2007
If you do NOT want a "transient" rental but a regular monthly type rental (not less than 30 days, I believe...), then all you need is a license from the city. I went to the license office on Simonton St, paid them some money, and walked out with my rental license. You renew it yearly. Of course I'm in an area you can rent (no restrictions), etc. The transient rental is for nightly or weekly rentals. You cannot rent you property nightly or weekly without a transient license. Those are a totally different ball game.
Hi Mike:
Transient rentals are only allowed in specific locations. Other properites can be rented long term. Month-month. 28 days or longer. There is a great demand for these rentals, especially during season. There are many great deals in all areas of Key West at this time. Please contact me either by email or phone. thanks!!
http://www.kwisland.com
Web Reference: http://www.kwisland.com
Thank Troy for responding!!

I'm confused. I assumed you went to the city to apply for a Non-Transient Rental License. Are you saying you need to get them from someone no longer using theirs? Do you have to pay for them and if so, how much?
Non-Transient licenses are not the hardest thing to get these days, timing plays a very big factor. In the sence of if they are available at that time. You just need to ask and I will find one for you.