Home Selling in Seattle>Question Details

T. Washington, Home Owner in Seattle, WA

Appraiser says our 2 car garage (400 sq. ft) is actually a carport because we don't have a garage door on it - roughly how much did we lose in value?

Asked by T. Washington, Seattle, WA Tue Dec 11, 2012

A garage, let alone a 2 car garage, is rare in my neighborhood (probably rare in the city too). I'm in Seattle, WA.

Answers

4
T,
You can read the specific adjustments in the appraisal on each of the comparables to see how much the lack of the garage door may have hurt you. Chances are it's less than the cost of the door.
Good tip. Thanks!
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
There are some code issues that you may want to check into. A garage counts as building SF and a car port is counted differently. Would a garage be legal? Could you heat it? Legally?

What part of Seattle are you in?

Ask the appraiser what the price difference would be.
Web Reference: http://www.nwhome.us
The house is in Wallingford. The garage (detached) was already here when we bought the house last fall (probably built in the 1950s) so I assume it is legal. It just doesn't have a garage door on it. We could heat it but not at its current state (its just 6 foot cinder block walls with bare wood framing on top, would need drywall and insulation). The appraisal was yesterday.
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
I've spoken with appraisers who say the value of a garage in Seattle can be quite high. I don't recall specific numbers but I think it was in the $20k range for 2 car. I'd be happy to provide you with a complimentary market analysis of your home, to provide you with a better picture of your home's worth, including your home's unique characteristics.

Jamie
Realtor, Coldwell Banker Bain
http://www.jamieflaxman.com
That's the best news I'll heard all day!
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012
It depends on the size of the house along with the purchase price. You can roughly get a price per sq ft however garage/basement sq ft is not as valuable. But let's get down to brass tacks. It depends on what the purpose of the appraisal is. Let's not forget that even though it's a professional opinion it's still an opinion. Your best bet would be to get a value contingent on professional installation of a garage door. Depending on what the value difference is you can decide whether it's worth spending the dough on a door.
The house is in Wallingford and is 1600+ sq ft not including the basement (900 sq ft) and garage (400 sq ft). It was bought for $350k, but at the time it was valued at much more has continued to rise. The appraisal was done for refinancing purposes; we're considering replacing the front porch, remodeling the kitchen or adding more head room to the basement.
Flag Tue Dec 11, 2012