Richie, Home Seller in Staten Island, NY

Am I better served by listing with a small realty office rather than a large agency?

Asked by Richie, Staten Island, NY Thu Oct 17, 2013

I heard that some of the smaller offices bring more qualified buyers to properties than some of the larger ones. I also heard that many of the large agencies don't encourage their agents to show properties of other agencies & steer their clients to their own listings first so that sheer size may be an advantage for listing with them. What's your view?

Answers

12
You are better served by focusing on individual agents, not necessarily realty offices/agencies. Therefore contact and interview in person a few agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer; choose your agent with care.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 17, 2013
I personally have tried listing with both a small and large company, the small companies don't have the advertising budget or the contacts in the Industry yet they charge pretty much the same commission as the larger ones. I would always list with a larger company.
Hi Kytejanet. I just dropped by and wanted to comment. Agents working with real estate companies pay a monthly fee to use a company's logo (branding) only. Any and all advertising an agent uses, aside from a logo, is paid out of the individual agent's pocket not the company they work with. Real estate companies stay in business due to obtaining agent monthly fees and agent commission cuts. It makes no difference if a real estate company is small or large. No matter the location all agents have access to the buying masses through MLS systems and to every buying agent in our cities. If an agent has a small advertising budget then a client would receive less services from the agent. The company they work with has nothing to do with this. We've tried to put this information out there to the general public for years. The result of success or failure can be found with the individual agent not a real estate company. Have a great day.
Flag Wed Oct 23, 2013
Hi Richie. Thanks for the post. I've worked in th real estate industry many years and know one thing for certain, agents work with an RE company of their chosing and all agents are independent contractors. This means that no matter what company an agent works with it is the sole discretion of each agent as to what services they are willing to offer a seller or buyer client. The agents pay for various services out of their own pockets. This is why it is very important to interview several agents regardless of company (branding) they work with.

The majority agents will expose your property to buying masses; however, the difference may be as to how hard an agent is willing to work to get your property sold in minimum time. The end result to success or failure may encompass an agent's marketing plan, experience and recent houses sold. I generally give my listing clients a detailed report pulled from an MLS system showing my activity of solds. If you can get this from an agent I think the majority of your listing questions will be answered right then and there. This greatly reduces the "fluff" in presentations to potential listing clients.

I hope this helps as you navigate the huge and diverse pool of potential agents. Your selling maybe one of the largest assets you have so it's worth the effort to interview agents and choose the right one for you. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
It's best to find a good sellers agent from any sized firm, who will promote your interests, keep your motivations confidential, be easy to reach & communicate with, & who is knowledgeable & honest. Yes, some firms, no matter what size, offer their agents a higher commission rate if they sell in-house listings. Good buyers agents from any firm will work hard to find a home that meets the needs of their buyers, whether in-house or not. Honesty & integrity mark a great agent.

Marcia Kelly, CRS
Keller Williams
Topeka, KS
(785) 249-3989
marcia@marciakelly.com
Richie,
Exercise great caution regarding the unsubstaniated things you hear. Most are urban legends repeated to sensationalize the intent of another.
-
You will be best served by the agent who presents you with a miltilevel, mulitfaceted STRATEGY to sell your home accompanied with real logistics. If you do not dig for this you will end up with the single dimension agent whose entire marketing strategy consists of "REDUCE THE PRICE!" It is easy, efficient and is costly only to YOU.
-
Stategies will reveal the five markets currently avialble to sell your home quickly and meets your requirements. However, amatures speak only of staregies. Professionals know the secret to success is the logistics.
-
Where are buyers originanating?
What are buyers looking for?
How will your home be made appealing to 'that' buyer?
How does the agent reach buyers directly?
How does the agent leverage their community network?
How does the agent use grass roots methods to reach organic buyer?
How does the agent leverage the brokage resources?
How does the agent leverage the franchise resources?
How does the agent leverage the community of real estate professionals?
How does the agent expose your home to potential international buyer?
Can you see the final stage of the process is designed to create a large pool of motivated, anxious buyers who will compete to purchase your home?
-
THIS IS IMPORTANT
Will the agent allow you to exposre yourself and the protential buyer to harm by placing your homes information on irresponsible websites? Some agents put so little thought into stategy and logistics that they wil sell you on the idea your home must appear EVERYWHERE...and the residual of that decison can be tragic.
-
Choose the agent who asks you probing, intelligent questions about your objectives.
Choose the agent who answers your 7 important questions without you having to ask.
It is your home. It's your highest valued asset. Choose wisely.

Best of Success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
Thumbs up! Your candor and realistic insight in to this field of business is always appreciated. Have a good weekend.
Flag Fri Oct 18, 2013
Asked and answered, see below..
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties Brokerage, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Hi Richie,

Your best option is to choose a specific realtor who your are comfortable working with. A compatible realtor is not dependent on whether the office is large or small. However, large offices tend to give better services considering they have much more to offer to their clients such as; MLS, greater advertising on multiple networks, and more. All of this brings the opportunity to list and sell to receive maximum profit for the property.
Oh well tough question. Here is my personal input..... YOU REALLY WANT THE BEST LOCAL LISTING AGENT, at the end of the game, the services that one individual will provide to you, will make all the
difference in the world.

He or she are working with a large or a small brokerage may not be the most important aspect, but
the type of marketing (and I suggest the most wide marketing on the internet is one of the most successful ways to market a property these days) and then the second most important part the help
you get from YOUR Realtor, your listing agent, in preparing your home right for the showings, for that Realtor to take personally care of you and your listing, the showings, and yes hold open houses with
special invites and brokers open houses to let the real estate community have a first detailed look
at the home...

So your relationship, interaction, trust and communication with YOUR listing agent is one of the most
important things, so sit down ask questions, see what the services include, what this agent may be
doing that others do not. Is your agent working with a larger team of 4 or 5 assistants etc., then you
will deal with a different person on and off and you may not desire that. Is your agent a super lister
in other words has a multitude of listings to oversee, and trying in the meantime to get more and more listings, or is this YOUR REALTOR limiting the amount of listed properties he or she takes care of
at one given time, as well as limits the number of buyers to a size that makes it possible for him or
her to take good care of the clients his / her total number at one given time... Many such Realtors
do have a support administrative team at the office of course, and may be an assistant for the paper work involve, but the personal care of the clients Sellers or Buyers they do themselves.

You may want to look for that! Just like you would like to see the same dentist and the same family doctor every time to go, and not a different one whoever is in the office at the time that you need to
see a doctor.

Hope this helps you... make a more educated decision on which Realtor to pick if you need a recommendation for a good local Listing Agent, feel free to contact me and I gladly forward one to
you...

Sincerely yours,

And always with a SMILE 
EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
If I were to purchase or sell stocks, I'd chose an investment brokerage that charges me the less to sell so that I can maximize my return.

In today's market, and in the world we live in where the Internet and technology are so advance, we can pretty much find out what our house is worth to a certain degree.

Of course working with an agent is valuable as they would offer a seller valuable insight. As far as smaller or larger office, it doesn't really matter since seller's home is listed on the MLS, and all agents that do have buyers that are interested in your home will reach the listing agent.

Furthermore, don't expect a buyer to pay top dollar if a seller does not make an effort to prepare the house in top condition when it's time to sell. Lastly, location, location, location. In any community, whether it is high end or low end, a house that is situated in a heavy traffic street, the likelihood of it being sold at premium compared to its neighbor would be rare.

Now days, large agencies try to double end on the commission as I see it being common out in this side of the country.

The bottom line is that you have to talk to an individual and determine if you feel comfortable with that person or not. I sure wouldn't want to work with a home owner that makes my life hard.
Choose the agent and agency that YOU feel will do the best job to market your home.
If an office is a member of the Multiple Listing Services, all other offices and their agents have access to the listing. The benefit of a larger agency is that they are more likely to advertise both on the internet and print media. However, you should feel confident with the agent. You should interview a few and decide which you have a better rapport with and which agent and broker offer the particular services that you prefer.
I totally agree with Ann.