Home Selling in Macungie>Question Details

Joan Wielgus, Real Estate Pro in Macungie, PA

All the realtors I have hired dto sell my home fail to list the upgrades and differences of my condo to others in the area. Even condo with less

Asked by Joan Wielgus, Macungie, PA Sat May 8, 2010

amenities and lower sq footage sold for $250,000. while mine is listed at $229,900. Fairways at Brookside. What is that all about?

Answers

11
Joan, be very specific with your listing agent about your expectations and insist that the features that distinguish your condo from others be made a part of the marketing materials.

You and your agent have a shared objective - to sell your condo - anything that sets it apart in a positive way and highlights the value will held, not hinder, that goal.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 9, 2010
Hi Joan..............How long ago did those smaller condos with less amenities sell? 2 months ago? 4? 8? The time frame can make a huge difference. Six-sight months ago I was discussing a list price for a small converted apt/condo of 220,000..............now we will list it at 189,000...and it has a new bathroom w/jacuzzi, new windows, and new kitchen with ss appliances.........

"ALL the realtors failed to list upgrades"???? So, why didn't you provide them with a list if they were so incompetent, and it was your bad luck to find more than one agent who didn't list these upgrades?

Joan - honestly, No one here can answer your question.
I highly doubt that the lack of a list caused your home not to sell. Something else is going on.
When all else fails - price is the great equalizier..........are there a lot of properties currently listed in your complex?
What do you think is your most significant upgrade?

Meet with your current agent, and ask for an honest, tough-love assessment of your situation........maybe that will shed some light in why you aren't selling.

Best wishes...........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Who knows? I'll tell you this, Joan, people (usually) don't buy "differences" and "upgrades," they buy value and benefits.

The word, "upgrade," to buyers, means: it's an older home that has had some stuff replaced. The more you list, the more they wonder, "what have they left off of the list?"

"Different" doesn't mean "better." Your condo is different ... from the others. How is the buyer to know, Good, or bad?

But more to the point, Joan, is this: why are we reading that "all" the realtors you have hired? Certainly, that means at least three. Some people are unlucky, and have to run through a few agents before they find The One. Still. "All?"

Maybe you and your agent-of-the-month should get together and hammer out an agreement on how your home is to be marketed, and at what price. You both should, as they say, be "on the same page." Clearly, right now, you're not.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Joan W.,

I'm not trying to be my usual on-line smart alec self, but isn't this really something you should be asking your agent. However, if the agent can't write a decent description, tell him/her you'll do it, but you will be expecting a rebate on the commission, and by the time the addendum is ready covering it, you will have the description ready for him/her. Maybe something like that would be a wake up call.

As far as the price, that's your call. If you didn't like it, why did you even agree to it? Once it's out at that price, it's hard to raise it and expect anything in the way of a good result.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Well, as one Joan to another:
There are a few things you have left out such as how long your property has been listed, have you had showings, any offers?
A realtor can only advise on price while the sellers actuallly set the price.
Even without listing upgrades and differences, if the price is lower than other condos, it should have had a lot of activity at the very least and I would think offers as well.
Something seems to be missing from this picture...
By the way, you said it at the beginning of your question- you hired your realtor and as your realtor's boss, you need to make it clear to your realtor that you want upgrades and square footage listed, as well as other things you may think are important. Your agent is your advisor, but you are the boss.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010
Just as an aside to this question.......Sean, I coldn't help but noticing this line in the description of the condo:

"ChkMajorArteries-BusAirprts-ChrchSchoolTheatr-Restaurants, Library,Malls and Golf."

My MLS won't even let us call a room a "family-sized dining room" , as it may offend those who don't have families.....so the reference to: "Chrch" in your listing description really jumped out at me......it would never make it on our mls for sure............quite frankly, it probably shouldn't be there......we may mention that a home is close to (NOT in "walking" distance) houses of worship or shops or NY bus, but never say church or synagogue or any other specific reference to religion........interesting how these things vary from area to area.

Joan - if that is the only text description of your home, I'd like to think it could be improved, as while it may be factual, it certainly doesn't sound warm or inviting. Where are the adjectives? Can you not use sentences to add descriptive phrases?

Of course, ti still comes down to pricing no matter how nice the wording might be!
Joan,

Is the description below what you asked your Realtor to put in the marketing remarks? I happen to know every Agent that you have hired so far. I suggest you listen to what they have to say about the price and let them decide what a buyer wants to read in the marketing description. What you have in there now is not what they want to read. I suggest posting a question to get feedback from Trulia members whether or not this is a good marketing description. In ending, it all comes down to price and condition.

Reduced! All Systems a Go! Bring Decorating Ideas-Manicured Cul de Sac Corner 9 RmRanch-2+Bdrm 2Bth-Extra 10x11 Rm for Office-2Walk-inClosets-Oversized 2Car Garage w/5car Drivewy-2Attics-Eat-inOak'07Vinyl Tile Kitchen Flr,Oak Cabinets/Pine Adjustable Shelves-W/W Neutral Carpet-FamRm Insulated Wood Fp,Dry Bar,Crown Moulding-Southern Exposure thru Double Paned Storm Screen Windows-Steel Drs-2Alum-9'4Ceilings of Dn/LvRms-Enjoy Private Courtyd w/Cable-Electric or Rm for Hot Tub,-Centr'l Vac-'09HVAC-HotWater Heater, Timer-Humidifier-Softener-Water/Elect Single Shutoff Valves-$103. a month Electric Bill. Condo Fee Includes:Full 6'Vented InsulatedBasemnt-BldngGroundsInsurance-Roof-'08 Rds Drivewy-Siding-CleanGutters-CaulkPaintMolding-LandscapeWeedPestContr'l-Walkwys Level'd'09-IceMelt-SnowGarbgeRemv'l-Clubhouse-FreeLrgMtingRm-Kitchen-Pool-Tennis ExcerMachineShwer-ChkMajorArteries-BusAirprts-ChrchSchoolTheatr-Restaurants, Library,Malls and Golf.
Condo are a different animal. The only real comparable is a unit within the same complex. Condo developments get known and can create a premium or may have a negative effect. The real question is how many units within your unit are currently listed and how many have sold in the last 3 months to 6 months?

If other complexs are selling and not units in your complex, it time to ask questions.

I would meet with your agent an review the mls discription and see how that can be enhanced. In addition, I would review all the comments people have made when they viewed your property. If the other units in other complexes are selling try to understand why. You always can view the units in competition with your unit to get a better idea how you compare to the condo's listed in your area. It is always better to see things how buyers see them.

Good Luck

Keith Manson

First Weber Group

Certified Distressed Property Expert

Metro Milwaukee

http://www.milwaukeebailout.com
Joan,

Are you in the MLS? I tried to find it and was unable to. What I can tell you is that square footage and some other information is automatically pulled from public records and put into the listing in the MLS for Lehigh (as well as for other multi-list systems). There may be reasons for not hightlighting what you want versus what is highlighted, there may be other reasons for yours not selling. What are you using to determine that the upgrades and square footage are not being highlighted? Is it a print ad, an on-line ad, the MLS or where? Maybe there are a variety of ad locations where the upgrades are being highlighted or maybe not. The only way you'll get a real answer to your question is to talk with your Realtor. If you've had 3 or more Realtors and they have not focused on your upgrades, maybe they are upgrades that do not make a difference or maybe they really are just normal maintenance items - like replacing carpet. If you replaced the carpet with a better grade carpet, it may not be something that should be highlighted. As others have said, I would make a list of what you want highlighted and sit down with your Realtor for an honest discussion.

Sharon Sapp, GRI, e-Pro Realtor with Century 21 Call First
Joan, When you list with the agent you can ask to proof read the information before submitting to mls .When we submit to mls there are certain fields that we can use to enter the data. For the description there are only certain number of lines available.We can add the upgrades in this section.We also leave a brochure at the house so that buyers and agents can pick one up.You can request the agent to change the information in mls and attach a list of upgrades to the description sheet at the house.When we feature the property on our individual site some agents have single property sites and can describe it in detail.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Price per sqft. and amenities are great feature to look at. If your condo are better, there should be many offers on the table. It seems to me that there are more issue I don't hear from you. Are there any pending assessment? Condo fee to high? Association reserve too low?
Web Reference: http://www.teanwong.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 8, 2010