Christine Ka…, Real Estate Pro in 92592

Agents: please give me your honest feedback on getting the CDPE certification. Also, how is the advanced working for you?

Asked by Christine Kankowski, 92592 Tue Mar 22, 2011

Answers

11
I am closing short sales left and right and I do not have the CDPE certification. I do not think it's necessary. I hire a short sale negotiation company to close my files. That will give you more time to focus on your real estate work. If I were you, I would contact Short Sale Department, LLC at 561-361-1909 or visit http://www.shortsaledepartment.com. I think it would be far more beneficial to your business.

Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Amy Givoni, Broker
Givoni Realty Corp.
561-361-8555
amygivoni@realtor.com
http://www.amygivoni.com
Christine,
I am a firm believer of Realtor education. I wish others did the same. It would help us all.
I take most every training that has come down the pike and enjoy it. ( if I can find time )
In answer to your question,....
The certification no biggie.
The advanced, in my opinion not worth it.
The education mixed with other short sale education helps.
I would bet short sales go by the wayside ( For the most part ) by end 2012.
I know the tax benefits do for both the state of CA and the FED. ( consult a CPA for tax advice )
I will say this about you getting a CDPE,... it shows you do your part in learning to help others during their time of need.
I will also say it is usually much easier for me as an agent to rep a buyer to engage in a short sale knowing the listing agent is a cdpe.
If you ask me it should have been provided by our local board at a reduced rate and mandatory when this all began so we, as agents, could all be on the same page.
FYI CDPE requires you pay 99/year to keep the designation as well.
You will also find CDPE markets you for their other designations a fair amount by email and phone.
If you ask me the best designation above all others is the GRI.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@southerncaliforniashortsales.org
http://www.southerncaliforniashortsales.org
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
I'm not one for designations. Homeowners don't know that they mean and rarely will they chose to work with someone just because they have one or multiple letters after their name.

I took the course work for the CDPE course and wasn't that impressed. They instruct their students to fax in 70+pages to the lenders for short sales...really? I've had them completed with as few as 20 pages. This course may be right for some, but not for me.

All the best!
Not needed, but true experience is.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 15, 2012
I would agree with Amy, I don't have it and I'm closing short sales just fine. It couldn't hurt if you don't have much experience with short sales but no one has ever asked me for it.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 22, 2011
I never got the CDPE certification because I knew it was not necessary. Like others, I sold many short sales with great success. I have a great team behind me though and paid for a private bank negotiator for all of my transactions at my expense to ensure the transactions would close smoothly.
Christine,

My wife and I were one of the first in the country to become CDPE Certified. As a matter of fact, I even began teaching the class and was on a path to teach the program across the country. This being said, the education is fantastic, but in today's market the Advanced program is not needed. We used the advanced program for over 3 years and never received a lead or further our education. The key to Short Sales is staying connected with the banks and knowing what local and federal laws are currently in place.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2014
I agree with many of the others that continuing education is very important. However, you should determine if this is the best investment for your money based on the direction the market is heading. We are starting to see fewer and fewer short sales in many areas. If that is the same in your area, perhaps invest in a certification such as the Seller Representative Specialist (SRS) to learn how to better represent your seller clients in general.

If you specifically want short sale training, also look into the Short Sale and Foreclosure (SFR) certification to contrast and compare to the CDPE.
Not necessary but education is never a waste. I think the most important qualities you can possess is compassion and understanding for the home sellers and the ability to work with the banks, stating in constant communication with all parties, home seller, buyers agent, and constantly staying on top with the banks... keeping in mind although they are negotiators, so are you!!! Every time you think you have run into all the possible senaro's that you can.... you find another. There is a site called short sale superstars that is separated by bank so you may find that very useful, especially when you run into something that is unusual circumstances... you ask questions under that bank to see if someone else ran into that same situation and how did they handle it. It also has all the contact numbers and forms required by that bank so ya gotta love that. I don't think the CDPE really prepares you for what you really run into when dealing with the banks... I see it is more about the expected process and I learned expect the unexpected when dealing with these banks. In the end... most close with some frustration along the road so put your patient hat on!!!
I have the CDPE along with 2 other short sale designations. I use the designations in my presentation materials and on listing appointments. I attend the webinars/trainings regularly which keeps me up to date with latest. You can get this information by other means but I prefer the training to be consolidated from one reliable source. I'm not so big on the advanced membership which is your own web-site. I'm not so sure this is a necessary and added expense and a little pricey at $99 per month. But I do refer clients to the site. All in all, it works well for me. I think we will be seeing more and more clients becoming more and more informed and want an agent that can deliver and has the credentials to prove it. I actually prefer clients that look for this in an agent but than.... I'm big on education and would not hire someone handling such an important transaction without the credentials to back it. A reputable short sale certification really should be a requirement in my book. Best to you in your decision!
Web Reference: http://www.sherrykhomes.com
We did pay for the certification with CDPE. Not so much so that we could use it for getting business but just as a learning tool. We did it basically for access to their nationwide knowledge and experience with banks. The first half of the course is really just a refresher for how we got here...which is kind of boring but it's still good information. Their website has a lot of information, lots of pre-done forms. Way more than you can use or even need...we just pick and choose what works for us. They also send out explanations that are clear when there are changes that we need to know about.

We are not doing the advanced program now. The advanced program opens up the ability to use their postcard and flier templates (geared at specifically promoting the CDPE status, I assume). There are additional webinars too but there is barely enough time to keep up with the regular ones...I just don't see the need right now.

Overall still pleased we spent the money.

We don't deal with 3rd party negotiation companies or recommend that our clients hire them.

Best of luck to you!