Home Selling in Wisconsin>Question Details

Michael Coll…, Real Estate Pro in Janesville, WI

Agents: Have you ever had one of your listings professionally staged? Did you see a difference compared to your other listings? Increased traffic etc

Asked by Michael Collins Team, Janesville, WI Wed Oct 10, 2012

Do you think there is a minimum listing price where the costs are worthwhile?

Yes, I have had several of my listings staged. Vacant homes, in my opinion, don't show as well, nor sell for as much, as when they are nicely furnished. Empty rooms tend to look smaller, and because there's nothing to focus on, buyers tend to look at walls with nail holes, scratched baseboards, and cobwebby windows and corners.

So when I have properties that would benefit from staging, I bring in a stager, who gives the seller a price, and the seller pays for it. It typically helps the market time, and the selling price.

Do I see a difference compared to my other listings? That's really difficult to say, since the other listings are nicely furnished and typically show well (if my clients have listened to my advice).. so, "no"... I don't see a difference... but I think I would see a major difference if I'd allowed the property to be listed, and shown empty.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
I've never had a house professionally staged, but, and this is nothing against stagers, if you, or better yet, the seller, can do it well, then there really isn't much difference in the end. Well-prepped houses, whether professionally staged or done well privately, are going to sell faster and for more money every time.

Caroline FItzgerald
Lead Beach
Web Reference: http://www.leadbeach.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 11, 2012
To answer Jim's question... (at least in my area)... staging an entire house... (area rugs, furnishings, books, curtains, artwork on the walls)... with the works... costs somewhere around $4,000 - $7,000 to stage the house for a period of six months, and then an additional $400 - $600.00 for the removal when they de-stage the house.

Obviously the larger houses can cost more. And I do not pay for the staging. That's a seller's expense.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 10, 2012
I always do my best to convince sellers the importance of staging, decluttering et cetera. And although not always convincing, the sellers who understand the importance not only sell faster but for more.
I have staged several of my listings and feel it makes a huge difference. It takes the focus off of the negatives and accents the positives of the home. I have listed vacant homes that did not sell and after staging the home sold quickly. I think a well staged home helps the buyer see how to use the space and helps them imagine their own furnishings in the home.
I agree Jim. I wonder if the Trulia community has any professional home stagers that would be willing to give general price ranges. I'm sure there are a few factors involved.
Thanks for asking this question Michael, I've often wondered myself. I also wonder how much a full-blown staging with furntiture and accessories would cost. Would need to do a major cost/benefit analysis and hope I've nailed the intangibles correctly.
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Doc: That's great that you have been not only staging your listings but using a professional photographer. You're right, the internet 'presence' has the greatest importance these days!

Kathy: You offer some great advice... a little de-cluttering sure can go a long way!

Alan: That does make sense, if the home doesn't need staging, it probably won't be much different from your 'staged' listings as far as results go. :)
Hi, Michael,

We stage EVERY listing at our own expense. I have a fiduciary duty to my client to present their home at its best to a highly demanding market. I justify the cost by shortening the time on market and getting a higher percentage of original list price.

We also have each listing professionally photographed. I am not a bad photographer myself, but it is a more efficient use of my time to let a pro shoot the home, and the results are always better.

The first showing is always on the internet. Those homes which have enough pictures (minimum of 25), a virtual tour and a video usually make the front page of search results. Studies show that only 2.7%of searchers ever even go to page 2. If the pictures don't capture the Buyers attention and make them want to see the house, it can languish on the market. If no one sees it, no one buys it.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR
I stage my own listings when I feel they need it and so long as the seller doesn't object. If the house is occupied, I use as much of the seller's furnishings and go through room by room and have them declutter and bring some of my own accessories in. I will even suggest rooms that need to be painted. My sellers so far have usually been very helpful and cooperative. If the house is vacant, I will definitely stage with small pieces of furniture and accessories. It makes a huge difference for photos and for buyers to imagine what a house could look like. One house I staged last year with the owners painting three rooms and decluttering, sold the first week on the market and I was the third agent to try and sell it and I only adjusted the list price by $2,000. Arrangement of someone's furniture and decluttering are free and I have actually used pieces from my own house to keep the cost of staging down. It helps if the client is on board with your ideas and help out.