miriamwynn, Both Buyer and Seller in Santa Clara, CA

Agent and firm reviews/quality check for property sale?

Asked by miriamwynn, Santa Clara, CA Mon Jun 23, 2008

Hi, I am trying to sell a condo in Coral Gables, FL. I am looking at two brokers/agents from two different firms who are aggressively trying to get me to commit to them. Previously when I bought the condo I used a high quality referral who turned out to be a nightmare, so now I am starting fresh with two options I am researching. A friend advised I post here because the forums are active. But is it ok for me to ask this type of information and give names of people, or names of firms?

I am basically trying to find out if they're reputable and who would be the "better pick." Web searches are bringing up only their own posted data about themselves - I need third party input! Thank you!

Answers

6
In your case, I would go with my gut. Just about every real estate firm has access to the very same marketing portals. When it comes to hiring an agent, keep it local. Try to choose the agent that you feel confident about and have a good communication with.

Having many listings; from an agents viewpoint, is not what it once was. Marketability is king these days. With the high volume of short-sales and foreclosures- "real" prices are very difficult to secure.

Best not to use the names or firm names, that would just invite anger and animousity.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 23, 2008
Hi Miriam, I think it would be best to ask people to send you their evaluations/feedback privately. I doubt any realtors or brokers would give negative reviews on anyone on a public forum such as this. Much of our business involves mutual cooperation between brokers and to openly denounce someone here wouldn't be good business for anyone to do.
Also, be aware that real estate professionals here will likely try to become prospect # 3 or 4 for you to choose from, if the condo is a viable marketable property that they would like to list. I'm including myself in that, so be forewarned. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 23, 2008
Hi Miriam,
I just wrote an article that you may find useful. A lot of the "known" local Realtors usually market for listings and their inventory can be deceiving. It's about seeing which agent will expose your listing the best and give you excellent service at the same time (no easy task).
Tbanks, Mott! Both firms are local, and one is physically located in the same area. Both say they are very familiar with the market. It might come down to the gut instinct ...
Thanks Ramesh, I figured I'd get eager queries, considering the state of the market. :) I also know this forum is agentt/broker heavy and was more interested in finding every day people who might have worked with these firms. Thanks for your idea about contact references! I will ask both realtors for the same.

If that doesn't work out ... I'll definitely keep this thread in mind. :)
The best way to find out about the agents would be from their past and current clients. I always allow potential clients to call my previous clients.

If you are interviewing other agents for the job, please consider me. you can see my information on http://www.DadeCountyMLS.com with client hand written testimonials and my blog at http://www.AmitsBlog.com.