Keen, Home Seller in Staten Island, NY

Agent I interviewed told me it's not important to have buyers working with them but more important to get marketing & exposure. How do I rate them?

Asked by Keen, Staten Island, NY Fri Nov 15, 2013

Is it important to have an agent that has their own following of buyers or can I just hope that their marketing will bring in buyers & referrals from other offices? I/m concerned that an agent without buyers as clients can't be that effective. Can a listing agent be just as effective as an agent that has both buyers & sellers?

Answers

14
Ruth & Perry Mistry’s answer
Marketing & Exposure generates leads, interest, showings and sales.

Having buyers help, but a buyer in a pocket, maybe looking for something your home
does not offer, or is too picky or has a certain price in mind or too Opinionated about
Market, Direction, timing and Pricing.

Yes a listing agent can be effective.

Ruth
Keen,

The bait that is used to reel in buyers is the marketing of your house. There are two kinds of agents, selling agents and MARKETING agents.

I think the Realtor you interviewed is right on and I would have hired that person on the spot!
They are correct.

You are hiring an agent to market your property to the public and other agents. You are not hiring them because they have a stable of buyers waiting to buy your property.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Oftentimes it's the marketing that brings in the potential buyers and keep in mind that agents that state they have area buyers, can't guarantee that one of those purchasers will buy your house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 15, 2013
Why not choose an agent that has both buyers and superior marketing skills.
You should rate the agent according to how you feel about working with them. It shouldn't be just about what they can provide or how many buyers they are working with or what type of listings they sold. You shouldn't forget the most important part how do you feel about the person? Do you trust them, do they make you a priority, are they persistant. You may not find that out just by meeting with them once, take your time choosing the right agent and if you feel after a certain amount of time that they are not doing the best by you, you should get someone that will.
An experienced "local" agent will have many connections. First, you want an agent with a strong marketing plan...someone who can expose your home to the market in order to attract as many buyers as possible. If you get lucky enough to find an agent that has a qualified buyer (today) and they want to buy it...great, but ask yourself...did your agent price it to low? Did the agent "double-End" the commission and not 'represent' you...the seller fairly?

Some agents that have a buyer...may be more out to get the buyer a good deal. I believe that a property should be exposed on the MLS with sufficient advertising for at least a week...in order to give all the agents with qualified buyers a chance to participate.

As a seller, you will have the best opportunity to sell you home for the best price and terms.

Back to the agent with "BUYERS"...I have been selling real estate in this Valley for 25 years and I work with a handful of buyers at any given time, but I am here to tell you that most agents rarely have more than 5 qualified buyers at any given time. (In any price range)

So don't be fooled by a real estate agent trying to convince you that they have a bus load of buyers waiting for your signature!

This is 2014. 94% of buyers start their home search online...so listing with an agent who is tech savvy is what I would recommend!

Scott Cary
Broker Associate
RE/MAX Executive
(209) 402-8000
Some agents specialize in listing properties. I agree that when listing your home, you should look for an agent who will market effectively to buyers and to other agents. You want to cast a wide net.
What's the difference if your listing agent's produces a buyer or one of the other 2100 realtors produces a buyer? Answer: There is no difference, hopefully. Well, maybe another agent working with a buyer would be better as it would not compromise/change your agent's "agency" agreement to work in your best interest.

Your listing agent's "agency" agreement is to work in your best interest. If your listing agent is working with a buyer, he/she probably has an "agency" agreement to work in the buyer's best interest.
No one can work in the best interest of the buyer and the seller simultaneously. Don't confuse being "fair" with working in your "best interest." So something has to change. A "Duel Agency" agreement is a possible solution.

Let me give you a hypothetical situation to try to clarify "Best Interest.":

Your friend tells you his wife served him with divorce papers. The following day his wife called him and suggested he not get his own attorney, as her attorney will do what best for both of them.

Question: Can the attorney work for the "best interest" of both the husband and the wife?

What would you advise your friend: 1) Your wife has a good idea; it'll save you money, or
2) you better get your own attorney.

(I know, a very lengthy answer. Hey, It's a slow day,)
Listing agent have buyers... but your listing agent most likely will not be the agent that brings the buyer in. The agent was correct and honest in my opinion. Someone you would want:)
Web Reference: http://agentmitro.com
Hi Keen: I agree with Judith. I too am a Full Service Agent. It is important to have an agent who is out and about frequently. Give me a call to discuss your options for selling your home.

Gary R. DeFilippo, JD, CFPS
NYS Lic. Real Estate Sales Associate
Neuhaus Realty
718 689-3850
Did that agent explain to you what a dual agent means? Do you want a dual agency? When I meet with sellers and explain the duties of a Seller's Agent, Buyer's Agent, and challenge of dual agency, the question of how many buyers I actually may have for that house is never discussed. That is because they know it is the seller's agent job to market the house, manage the transaction, minimize risk, and to get the seller best terms and price.

If an agent works with a Buyer and they have a duty to the Buyer to get them the best price and terms, how can they accomplish that same duty to the Seller at the same time?

Interview your agent and discuss what they do for you, how they will market, their experience, what they do that is different from the rest, how will they communicate, etc… Then hire the agent you trust that will take your best interest into all consideration, and the one you believe is the best fit for you.
Marketing your property to AGENTS IS KEY in selling a home.
Each agent has a handful of buyers.
As a listing agent you want each and everyone of those agents on your side.

An agent who sees the other Realtors as allies and NOT COMPETITORS toward their listings is an agent that a seller should want on their side.
Hi Keen,

I believe that you need a "Full Service Agent" who knows todays Marketing Strategies and also familiar with the properties in your neighborhood ie; just sold, just listed, expired, etc......If Realtors are NOT out with buyers and showing homes how well do they really know the competition and the market....food for thought!

I am a full service Realtor and a Top Producer on Staten Island, if you would like to set up an appointment to meet with me I can be reached 718-612-4924.

Judith McKenna