Question Details

Niclole, Both Buyer and Seller in 07733

Advantages and disadvantages of listing now vs Spring 2008.

Asked by Niclole, 07733 Sun Oct 21, 2007

Answers

9
There is a difference of listing new in the fall vs. extending a listing that has not yet sold. At all times through the year, there are some active buyers. Those active buyers know when something new hits the market. If you are priced right and you have an agressive marketing campaign that reaches brokers, agents, and buyers, you can successfully sell in the last quarter of the year.

The buyers who come out this time of the year are serious buyers. Expect fewer showings, but expect those who come out to be more than looky loos.

Biggest advantage.....serious buyers

Biggest disadvantage......not too many buyers

Reality check......price right and market aggressviely to reach those active buyers. Remember that no amount of marketing can sell an overpriced property.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
Nicole
I encourage you to consult with a local Realtor regarding this question. I am often concerned about RE professionals providing "professional" advice without knowing the entire scope of a poster's situation. This is a perfect example of such a case.

Consider what I don't know:
1. When you need to be in your new home.
2. Why you are moving--need to versus have to
3. How much equity you have in your current home. Do you need to sell this one to buy the next one?
4. You local real estate market
5. The condition and location of your property

A Realtor that knows the above is in a position to offer you competent advice. So, please consult with at least one, perhaps two, about your situation.

I will say that in most cases listing your property NOW is the best move because we now what the market is like right now. Predicting is difficult because it deals with the future...

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
The advantage of listing now is that it gives you two chances to sell. If it doesn't sell now, you take it off the market and then put it back on in the spring.
Ruth
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
Ruthless, Other/Just Looking in 60558
I believe it depends on whether you buy new or resale. New homes are offering incentives and price reductions that could offset declines in the market by Spring 2008. Resales are still overpriced for the age and condition of most properties. Buying smart with new construction should give a home buyers an equity base from which to build value.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
Depends where you live. Where I live, Long Island, there would be no advantage because your house will be worth less in the spring than it is now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
SIX YEARS OLD!!
almost a record!
the clothes wornand thhe things you do sometimes it is warm and sometimes cold but say what you must live we need you
It depends on several local factors that we really don't have the information to advise in your case. However, there are probably certain times of the year where the average sales price may always go down. For instance, October, November and December are usually periods each year where the average sales price drops quite a bit more than in earlier months just because of the season. I don't know about your area. Talk to a realtor in your area and see if they can give you cyclical numbers for comparables.
Web Reference: http://homenashvilletn.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2007
This is the time of the year where there are less homes on the market so you would be among fewer properties to compete with. You know what the market is now. Springtime is the traditional time when everyone places there home on the market and there would be competitiion. Who can forcast what the market is in the spring. I would do it now.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA