Home Selling in Louisville>Question Details

Wes Black, Real Estate Pro in Louisville, KY

A question to all homeowners who plan to list their home soon, what will you be doing now to prepare your home to make it exciting and marketable?

Asked by Wes Black, Louisville, KY Thu Jan 27, 2011

Answers

9
Great question! Hiring the proper team to market and sell your home is key but let's face it, as homeowners looking to sell we are or should be a big part of that equation. Important things homeowners can do to make their homes more exciting & marketable:
1. Make sure the condition of your home is excellent- finish any projects gone by the way side (I assure you no one will want to finish your project).
2. Clean, clean, clean- Make sure your home is clean & smelling fresh. Do you know what the #1 turn off for home buyers is? Smell and it's decided in the first few seconds of entering your home.
3. Neutralize Bold Colors- a fresh coat of neutral paint goes a long way & can instantly change the feel (and smell) of a home; with very little money!
4. Consult a Home Stager- You may think you have the best house on the block, & maybe you do, but a home stager will give you honest, objective opinion on your home. Simple re-arrangement of furniture, removing all your nick/nacks, taking down your family pictures, etc. Pack it up! The goal is for the buyer to envision living in the home.
5. Hire a top producing Listing Agent or team to market & sell (professional photos, marketing plan, etc.) Ask how many homes they sold last year? How many agents are on the team to help with showings? Etc.
6. Make Showings Easy! If someone wants to see it the answer is... yes. Try not to put restrictions on showings.
7. Have it Show Ready- keep it tidy & for showings turn on all the lights, light a candle, play some calm music, & vacate the house.
8. Have Open Houses- homes do sell this way so make sure your team of agents is ready to host.
9. Keep an Objective mind- if you haven't had any offers in the first 30 days then you're price doesn't match the condition (or location).
10. Offer incentives, bonuses; get creative! Selling a home can be great- if you keep a positive frame of mind & hire an agent to fit your personality & goals.

Best of luck! Dorothy Fowler Team Manager/Agent Dorothy@milessmithgroup.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 24, 2013
Nice post.
Flag Fri May 24, 2013
Market a financing option, have the seller buy down the rate a 1/4%, switch to a 25 year amortization instead of 30 years, cuts out more than $30,000 on a $150,000 purchase and pays the house off 5 years earlier. When does the buyer want toe be debt free? 502-641-5118
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 28, 2011
Houses are selling so fast right now, there isn't even much time to prepare your home! Just call a good agent and they will sell it for you. Why should YOU do the work? Live in your house and love it like you always have. A competent realtor will get it sold for you as it's THEIR job to make it exciting and marketable. If you haven't found that person yet, call me.

Stephanie Jones, Agent
Weichert Realtors - ABG Louisville East
215 S Hurstbourne, Suite 205
Louisville, Kentucky 40222
Cell - (502) 802-3204
stephanie@abgrealtors.com
I would hire a local real estate agent and interview three of them and take the one you like best to sale your home.
Someone asked this question not too long ago - I loved her answer and blogged about it! Here is what she said and the link to my blog is below as well....

“I’m a seller, and I already knew a terrific agent that I had worked with before. I got rid of half my furniture, boxed up all the clutter (having watched HGTV), and then went to see him because I *thought* I was ready. I wasn’t..

He came over to see the house, so that he could get realistic comps for me. After he saw what he was dealing with, he told me that the wallpaper (ALL over the house) would not be popular among buyers here and he suggested that all of it should go. While he said he was no good “at this decorating stuff”, he also said he had heard that painting in neutral earth tones seemed to help. He also noticed some repairs that needed to be done and said the house should be in perfect repair. And finally I already knew I had to recarpet the whole house, since the carpet was wildly colored and not neutral, stained, and over ten years old. He said that my curb appeal was great already so I didn’t work on that so much.

It took me a couple of months and over $9K to have workers get rid of all the wallpaper, paint in neutral earth tones, get a new neutral carpet throughout, and get all the repairs done and have a handyman search for other repairs (like kitchen draws that stick, and doors that are hard to shut, a ceiling fan that wasn’t actually working, and a million other little things that I hadn’t noticed because I was used to them) and fix them.

The house looks 100% better and it is a joy to live in. Who knew? LOL I should have done this years ago. Anyway I’m glad I did it before listing because the competition here for buyer interest is fierce. After the work was done my realtor came back, took a look, and got some new, realistic comps for me and the next day we listed the house.

It may or may not be advisable to do all of this in your location with your particular housing market. But my point is, your realtor knows what sells and you need to line up a realtor that you want to use, get him over to your house, and listen to any suggestions he may have.“
The best thing they can do is call me.

It's my job to make their home exciting and marketable.
freshen it up would be great. the outside fo the home is going to be the first thing they see. make sure the home has some curb appeal. Paint the trim or shutters on the house to give it a clean fresh look....put some mulch down in the front or power wash your house if it is vinyl sided...

On the inside depersonalize it. Take out photos of the family. Declutter it remove all unneccessary furniture from rooms and either store in garage or storage unit.

Those simple thinga have helped me sell homes and buyers purchase homes....
Web Reference: http://www.davedicecco.com
Sellers should clean-up, incl touch-up paint, try to de-personalize their home so potential buyers can picture themselves living and make sure it shows the best that it can. Try to make sure that furniture in each room doesn't make the rooms look too small or cluttered as well.
Hopefully stage it and prep it as they should!