Home Selling in Philadelphia>Question Details

Helaurin, Home Owner in West Chester, PA

A friend needs to find a 2-bdr home at about $100/month or less. We need ideas!

Asked by Helaurin, West Chester, PA Wed Nov 9, 2011

Current landlord is evicting the family (mom & child) because she reported him to L&I (who now has issued the landlord multiple citations). Mom's disabled (SSI case pending), surviving on less than $420/month in food stamps & cash assistance, child's birthfather was excused by the courts while incarcerated so he doesn't have to pay any child support until after he finds a job - and even then, it would be just one hundred dollars a month if he ever gets a job.. Short & long, landlord has delivered a letter of eviction. The court says that the child must have her own bedroom. In addition, we just were told that the non-custodial parent has to approve of the new location and it "should be" in philadelphia, the courts don't approve of custodial parents moving out of their jurisdiction. There are no relatives in Philadelphia either for the family to move in with. Suggestions?

Answers

14
Hi Helaurin,

Sorry to say there is no way any of us will be able to find you a home or apt for $100 per month. I would suggest you have the family contact a social service agency for help. There are many local non-profits and CDCs that may be able to offer assistance. I would check out shelters too. Good Luck with everything.

Larry Lichtman
REALTOR, Property Manager
Web Reference: http://www.DJCRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 9, 2011
Call me 215-725-5700 X49
Philip Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
I suggest you explore the legalities around squatters rights. There are abandonded houses. PLEASE don't call me.
Again call me at 215-725-5700 X49 I will refer you to people who can help
Philip J. Cunningham Sr.
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
215 725-5700
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
$100 for a 2 bdrm anything is unrealistic...i dont think you can get a single room with a shared bth in a boarding house for that...she should apply for section 8 housing assistence...or emergency housing thru travelers aid...
Consult Craig's list for something like this.
Philip, I will give your contact info to the family this weekend when I see them. Thank you!
$100 a month is not a reasonable figure. I am sorry but I just don't see that happening.
Helaurin: I have contacts in the City of Philadelphia that work with single parents with all kind of problems but I will only refer someone after I talk with them. There is no charge I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a person in need and not just someone who is going to use my name for something illegal.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr.
V.I.P. Realty Corp
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19152
215-725-5700
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
Very Sad Helaurin. I think maybe it's time to give Newly re- elected Mayor Nutter a call. If they are feeding you this stuff, time to put your elected officials to work in my opinion. That is total garbage to deny the family to move within 1.5 Miles of the city, because of some incarcerated individual.

I wish I had simple solutions for you. However, I would contact Nutter's people asap.

Rob Hughes: Long & Foster Real Estate Inc.
(Associate Broker) (AB065650)
(Hughes Associates) (Realtor since 1987)

Office: 610-225-7400 x7438

Cell# 484-410-9765 (Preferred)
Hi - we did look into the HUD program and were told that in Philadelphia, they are not even taking applicants to be put on the waiting list for housing - the waiting list is closed. Even then, we were told that the list is more than five years long. The family found one place that they could handle but it's nearly one-and-a-half miles outside of Philadelphia. The family spoke to a lawyer who told them that the family is not permitted to move anywhere, not even down the street, w/o the non-custodial parent's permission; the lawyer further told them that to get permission to move, they will need to file with the court and that it takes months to get permission. In the meantime, they don't have months, they have a few weeks before they are evicted and that the Philadelphia court is highly unlikely to approve of the family moving outside of their jurisdiction, even though it's still close and even though it would give them access to housing programs. The family also was given the understanding that the non-custodial parent will not approve of any shared-housing arrangement and apparently, under some new law, he gets the final say - whether he provides financial support or not. They are really stuck, because between the various laws - they are being told they can't move (yet are being evicted by the landlord), that they must have a private-access apartment or house (on $100 a month) and that they can't even get on the housing assistance list in Philadelphia - but they aren't permitted to move to an adjacent town that would provide assistance - and that the non-custodial parent gets the final say as to any place they move to.

o a township adjacent to Philadelphia, where the waiting list is accepting applicants for housing assistance, but the only place there we found that would work is a whole mile and a half outside of Philadelphia and the custodial parent won't approve.
I think $100 a month is going to be a challenge. I would look into just a room or two for rent in a home, Check Craiglist or Roomates.com for this type of arrangement. I would also check with the local welfare or housing agencies for subsidized housing that she may be eligible for.

Good luck & let me know if you need any other info.

Barbara L Smith
Weichert Realtors
PA & NJ Licensed
cell/text: 609-980-7593
Email: BarbSmith321@comcast.net
Helaurin, the best thing you can do for your friend is to get her into Section 8 housing immediately. Government pays majority or all of the rent. Also Hud Approved agencies that do not charge fees. She needs assistance now:
http://www.housing-guide.com ; http://www.hud.gov/local/index.cfm?state=pa&topic=renting These are two websites to check out as well as any Consumer counseling agency as they also have many resources for your friend.

Best of luck to you,

(Associate Broker) (AB065650)

Office: 610-225-7400 x7438

Cell# 484-410-9765 (Preferred)

http://WWW.DELVALREALESTATE.COM
Sorry to hear all this has happened . I am not from Philadelphia so I am not to sure of the rent there, but $100.00 a month does not sound like it is posible. Maybe you can get a roommate or maybe you can rent out a room or two from someone. HOPE ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOU