Joyce Zangme…, Real Estate Pro in

A client has asked me, "Should I take my home off the market during the Holdiays?"

Asked by Joyce Zangmeister, Wed Dec 3, 2008

I wanted other professionals opinions about regarding having a home on the market during the Holidays.

Answers

6
Time off the market is time that prospective buyers are not seeing your seller's home. How about this: "Mr. Seller, I know it can be difficult to have your home on the market during the holidays. And, many people take their home off the market. Let's use that to our advantage. Now there are less homes for buyers to see so we will have a better chance that a buyer will want to make an offer on your home. Does that make sense to you?". If they are serious about selling then I think they need to keep their home on the market.

I think it depends on your market. Here in Arizona, we are flooded with winter visitors, many looking for a second home. It is an excellent time to have your home on the market.
Web Reference: http://www.AValleyHome.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 3, 2008
Joyce
The serious buyers are looking during the Christmas holidays. Homes look their best when decorated for the holidays too!
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Joyce,
Although fewer Buyers are out house-hunting during the holiday season (Nov-Dec), those who do are not just kicking the tires. Only the serious Buyers are out looking at homes this time of year. As you know, a lot of Corporate Relocations occur before Jan 1st, providing local area sellers with a pool of potential Buyers. Lastly, given the fact that fewer people list their home during this hectic time, we are in a significantly less competitive environment, and smart sellers are taking full advantage of it. Say "hi" to Greg, and Happy Holidays!
I would ask them if their area is known for extensive decorations. I ask this because that area may draw a crowd and depending on the scene could have a tourist or two that may spark interest.
I wouldn't have a problem with that. I would change it in the MLS to refect that for a couple of weeks.