Home Ownership in Marina>Question Details

Trulia San F…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Who is responsible for damage from a side walk tree that has blown over in a storm?

Asked by Trulia San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Mon Dec 3, 2012

Answers

4
There are trees owned by the City but it will usually fall to the property owner to maintain it and the liability will probably go to the property owner also.
Sidewalks are covered under a "prescriptive easement". The responsibility to maintain the sidewalk from trip and slip hazards is court tested and common.
As suggested call 311 and ask what you are expected to do but don't be surprised if you get the buck passed to you. If you feel that the info given to you by the City is wrong, then contact an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 4, 2012
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
depends where the tree is on the property line.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
This is a bit of a random read for me but I found the information provided helpful. I remember why I love this site. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012

Ask your insurance provider or an attorney who is the resposible owner. Owners of property are resposible for the sidewalk in San Francisco.