Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

What happens to a criminal's property while they are in prison?

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 8, 2013

Answers

3
Hello Alison,

I have encountered in some of my prospective short sale clients, that the burden of taking care of the property falls on the shoulders of criminal's relatives. Hopefully, the criminal had a power of attorney person assigned prior to departure to serve his/her sentence.

If the property is not paid for, or not taken care of, it might be fined by the city/county, tax liens/certificates can be issued, and the property can be foreclosed upon
by the bank (if the property is mortgaged) or a condo association (if the property's maintenance fees are not paid to the condo association).

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
305-904-2355
Depending on the crime they were involved in, the property can also be seized and sold to pay fines, or other damages awarded by or required by the court. As a result the "criminal" would not have access to doing anything with the property but might still be required to pay the mortgage should one exist which could cause a foreclosure procedure by the bank. In a case like that I believe the banks note would be first in line to be paid and if anything was left over other distributions could be made as appropriate. This is the best answer I can give without knowing the particulars. Hope this is helpful.
A bunch of his buddies from the Q drop by his place and take it into protective custody.