Home Ownership in Brooklyn>Question Details

Dmitriy Ryab…, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Neighbor with zero tolerance for sounds complained about me making noise

Asked by Dmitriy Ryabin, Brooklyn, NY Thu Mar 14, 2013

Rather strange question. How can I defend myslelf, when I am almost never home, and am NOT making the disturbing noise? I live in a condo. My condo. The neighbor bellow - elder woman, who obviously has problems sleeping, complained to the management that I am making excessive and disturbing noise "The whole time". Now, I am thretenned with fine by the management if I do not stop making noises.
Some facts:
- Floors are very thin, so it os obviously that she may hear me walking.
- I do watch TV and listen to music, but at a very low volumes.
- She said herself, that she goes to sleep at 9 and "needs complete silence"
Management sends me letters, demanding me to
1) respond to every letter with certified mail - expensive and time consuming
2) demanding me "stop" making noises - that would mean me to literally lay
in bed the whole time", because the neighbor complains to any sound
How can I defend myself from accusations, and not have to deal with the management ?

Answers

6
Mack McCoy’s answer
Thanks, I did tell them this.
I am asking for the future. Management is really no more on her side, than on mine, but they do have keep to bombard me with letters. And I simply want to avoid to respond to them everytime they feel like sending me one. For them its a work routine, for me extra burden.

Yeah, I get it, but I think you see that they can't adjudicate the matter, so they have to follow procedure.

You might take this up at the next Board meeting, pointing out that perhaps your neighbor needs a fresh copy of the House Rules sent over by the management company, with the direction that unless there is an actual violation of the rules, the management company should be left alone.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 16, 2013
You have to deal with the management, Dmitriy, that's just a fact.

You should simply tell the management company that you are complying with the "house rules," and that your neighbor has unrealistic expectations that you have no obligation to meet.

If you are a renter, I strongly urge you to refer these communications to the condo owner, and start looking for a new place to live.

Thanks, I did tell them this.
Flag Fri Mar 15, 2013
I hear this problem very oftern, and the majority of the problem lies on bad construction of the condo unit. Many times when cheaper materials such as metal beams instead of 4X4, thin sheetrock, no proper insulation between floors, etc,

I CAN HONESTLY SAY I HAVE AVOIDED SELLING SUCH CONDOS IN THE 15 YEARS I HAVE BEEN DOING REAL ESTATE.

You're going to have to learn do deal with a few things until you sell the unit.

SOLUTIONS

1. Carpeting: These days, people love beautiful wooden floors, but in your case, you need carpeing with thick padding.

2. Acoustic ceiling tiles: The absorb noise.

3. Objects on walls: Believe it or not, wall pictures, ornaments, bric a brac things arond the house absorb vibrations.

4. Find your communities sound ordinance laws, make a copy and give it to your neighbor.

My best advice is to move into a more stable structure. I have when developers cut corners, it ruins the quality of life for everyone who live in the structure.

I'm more than just a Realtor who sells property... I know about the property I sell.
When you're ready, give me a call.

Luke Constantino
(212) 300-3919
lukeconstantino@gmail.com
Buy rugs for all your floor space & take your shoes off when in the apartment. Sometimes you are better off biting the bullet and making peace with your disgruntled neighbor it will save you a lot of stress in the long run as she could make your life a nightmare. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 21, 2013
Are you renting or do you own your place? What about the woman below you?
I own the place. And I am pretty sure she owns her place as well.
Flag Thu Mar 14, 2013
Is there anything I can put in a letter to the management, that would make stop bothering me and requiring responses?