Home Ownership in 11050>Question Details

acc0rd, Home Owner in 11050

Is anyone responsible for not finding building code violations when buying a house.?

Asked by acc0rd, 11050 Fri Sep 20, 2013

We bought a house in Port Washington 3 years ago. We filed for a permit to do some cement work. Then we got a letter from The Town of North Hempstead saying that after looking at our survey there was a concrete patio in the backyard and there was no permit for it. We did not put the patio there the previous owner did and now they want us to pay an architect to draw up plans and add a drywell for it. I'm pretty sure this is going to cost us over $5000. Isn't the title company supposed to find these problems or should north hempstead not have given us a Certificate of Occupancy if there were things done without permits.
Also, the previous owner had 2 gas boilers, 2 gas hot water heaters, and gas lines for 2 stoves and dryers installed without a permit. Shouldn't someone have found those issues. I mean how did the gas company run a line to the house and start an account without a proper permit?

Help the community by answering this question:


Your attorney should have reviewed the title report which usually contains a municipal search for permits, co's etc. not sure who was involved in your transaction but it could have been detected prior to buying.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 17, 2013

What you say makes perfect sense, but - no.

Ac0ord, if the Seller Disclosure was false, then take it to your attorney to see if you can pursue them for damages. Mention to your attorney whether you had a home inspection, by the way.

All the best,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 20, 2013
Well it's possible that when you purchased your house the title company simply wasn't aware of the fact that your house had a concrete patio. They might have used a survey the found from the previous transaction and the patio might have slipped through.

Your best move is to find an Attorney, maybe meet with the Attorney who represented you on this purchase and see what your options are. I can certainly recommend an excellent attorney if you need one. Good luck.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS #23130
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(516) 740-4478 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 20, 2013
I'm sorry to hear of your difficult situation. This scenario is not uncommon with home purchases in Port Washington + elsewhere. My advice would be to contact a Litigation attorney.

Good Luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 20, 2013
Did your seller complete a "seller's disclosures" document? If so, did it ask whether they had gotten permits for all the work done during their term of ownership? Did they answer yes? Definitely contact your attorney to see what can be done.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 20, 2013
Discuss with your attorney....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 20, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer