Home Ownership in San Diego>Question Details

Trulia San D…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

If a neighbor has let the front of their property go downhill, what are your options?

Asked by Trulia San Diego, San Diego, CA Fri May 17, 2013

Answers

10
We got 1/2 of a good response; among 9 answers:
In the "good old days" the neighbors would band together and help out their neighbor.
But that would never occur to people nowadays!
Communicate with them. It may not be voluntary. Perhaps you and other neighbors could help them (in return help yourself) in some way?

If not, and if there's no HOA to mandate / police the area, unless there exists a health or safety issue that HUD or your local police could enforce, you have an unfortunate and frustrating situation on your hands.

Bill Stuart, Broker/Officer, Realtor®, Certified Short Sale Resource, CNE®
858-231-2405
http://www.USCreditandRealty.com
Bill@USCreditandRealty.com
This is one of the benefits of having a Homeowners Association sometimes... How about getting to know your neighbors?

How bad is downhill?
Move!

I know that is not really all that easy. I always believe in trying to kill (not literally, of course) people with kindness. Some people as scary as it may sound, may not even believe they have let their property go downhill. Remember that each person has their own level of what looks good. Heck, I find myself thinking my yard is unkempt if there is one petal from a flower that is just laying there. My point is to make sure your standards are reasonable and then do your best to have a peaceful, productive conversation. Being the optimist, I will leave it at that and assume that will rectify the situation.

By the way, I think that first response was a real answer and given all the sinkholes randomly popping up, along with landslides happening , you just never know when that house next door may end up going "downhill".

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
The first answer really cracked me up !!!
Some cities have ordinances regarding home maintenance and appearance. Check your city's web site. You can write a polite but anonymous letter from "a neighbor" asking them to take care of the issue(s), because you don't want to have to contact the city.

I had to do this once. I had a neighbor who always took care of their house, then rented it out, and the renters let the grass and weeds grow over a foot high. A polite letter ended the problem. Your neighbor may not even be aware if they no longer live there.

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Lic # 01443391
There aren't all that many choices. If you know the neighbor and can politely ask them to do certain things...great. If you think there are ordinances being violated, you certainly can call the city.

At that point...someone else owns it and you most likely have to live with it!!
I assume you mean that the neighbors are not taking care of the front of their property. As a good neighbor first step is to find out about your neighbors situation. Sometimes loss of a job, poor health, lack of finances or lack of time or any other family matters may be a factor/s affecting your neighbor decision to let the property go. If none of the above applies and If talking to your neighbor about your concern does not generate positive response or action, you may want to call up your city manager and let them know of your concern.

Good luck :)

408 636 3806
If you are referring to a lack of maintenance resulting in poor curb appeal then you may have a few options. There may be mowing/ weed ordinances you could report them on, check with city hall.

If you are trying to list your home and want them to look better during that time, you are better off being polite explain the situation, often they will be understanding, but I would be prepared to offer to help clean and maintain it while you are listing.

Do you mean next door neighbor's home is sliding down the hill? If so, call the city and have your home inspected for structural damage as we'll.