Home Ownership in 76114>Question Details

Daniel Cloud, Home Owner in Fort Worth, TX

How to know if homeowners lied on disclosure?

Asked by Daniel Cloud, Fort Worth, TX Wed Jul 17, 2013

Purchased home 2 months ago and have found either termite, carpenter ant, or water intrusion damage including extreme rot in ceiling, crown molding, and walls. Disclosure asked about termites and water intrusion and previous owners answered "No." Neighbor confirmes that the previous owners knew about electrical system problems in past and the previous owners also answered "No" to this question. How can I find out if and when the home was treated for termites or water intrusion, and what options do I have to get this issue fixed? How serious is the Sellers Disclosure legally?

Answers

5
Daniel, I can sympathize with you. I'm in the business and it happened to me 20 years ago! The Sellers Disclosure survives closing and can be dealt with thru the legal channels. Like another agent said though, you would have to prove that the owner KNEW and WITHELD the information. You might want to call you insurance agent. Theres a huge database that all insurance companies have access. He might be able to tell you if a claim was ever filed having to do with water. On that issue....why did you home inspector not catch a few of these issues? Might want to call and find out. If you pursued the electric issue, I'm thinking you would have to hire legal advise. Your time and effort, along with your neighbors willingness to get involved, against the possible money retrieved should be your motivating force.

Very sorry this happened. I've been in business for almost 30 years and, unfortunately, I'm thinking this wrong will continue to happen.

Lori Sortore
RE/MAX Trinity
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 17, 2013
I am sorry you are having these problems with your new home. I would contact your agent and he can get the ball rolling in the right direction. The unfortunate thing is that if they never had anything treated or repaired they are only answering that they have no knowledge so it can be tricky. I would also get ahold of your home inspector to find out how they missed these problems. I hope this helps and best of luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 17, 2013
That is a question only an attorney can answer.
Lori Sortre is right, you probably need to seek some legal advise on this one. I'm sorry you're having that experience.
Good Luck,
Tracey Amaya
RE/MAX Trinity
I appreciate your responses. Thank you.