Home Ownership in San Diego>Question Details

Trulia San D…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Generally speaking, what do HOA fees cover?

Asked by Trulia San Diego, San Diego, CA Thu Nov 29, 2012

How do HOAs come up with the monthly fee rate?

Answers

9
Great question! Of course HOAs vary from community to community. Generally speaking they cover anything shared by the owners. They typically cover shared walls, shared roofing and fencing. They also typically maintain all the common area in the community This would include a community park, pool, grassy area, etc. Sometimes the HOA will also cover the owner's personal water and trash pick up.

If you are on the fence with regard to HOAs feel free to check out my blog post at the website below.

Theresa Mack
Coldwell Banker
(858) 230-4850
theresakmack@gmail.com
www,mackrealestate.com
Homeowners Association Fees (HOAs) generally cover the following:

Common Area Maintenance, Exterior Building Maintenance, Limited Insurance, Sewer, Roof Maintenance and Termite. Other items that can be covered, but aren't necessarily as common include: Trash Pickup, Water and Cable.

It is very important to understand exactly what is/is not covered so that you are comparing apples to apples when buying a place that has HOA dues.

As far as how the monthly fee is determined, the Board/Association comes up with a figure that will enable them to cover their operating costs (such as gardening, water, insurance and property management) for the current year as well as any long term repairs and replacements (roofs, roads and parking lots.)

When evaluating the fees for a particular complex, be sure to look at a history of the fees, so you can spot any trends. Ask when the last fee increase was, the reason for it, and whether there are any anticipated increases and/or decreases. Also, be sure to see that the reserves for the HOA are solid, so as to minimize the likelihood of any large special assessments in the event of any unknown events/damage to the complex.

Aside from understanding the HOA fees, be sure you have a grasp of what the CC&R's are, so that there are no surprises once you move in (ie, you realize you are not allowed to have a dog).

Hope this helps those of you out there trying to understand the HOA side of things.

Chad Basinger REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
chad@chadbasinger.com
858-997-3704
HOA fees can vary depending on what amenities are provided within the HOA community. Let's recall that the purpose of an HOA is to manage the common area amenities and so dues must be collected from each member of the HOA to finance the management and maintenance of the common area amenities. HOA's can vary from high-rise condo complexes to a regular looking neighborhoods of homes that has an HOA simply to manage the common land areas, like maybe a park or a canyon.

Typically HOA fees cover:
* Insurance for the common structures, liability, negligence by the Board, etc
* Reserve requirements, which are monies collected for future repairs and maintenance, such as roofs, paintings, etc
* Maintenance of common areas like clubhouses, pools, spas, etc
* Landscaping
* Water (sometimes includes water to units). Sometimes includes the heating of the water in common boiler rooms.
* Electricity to common area
* Trash
* Security

It's important to know where the HOA responsibility ends and the unit-owner's begins. In a condo for instance, usually the HOA is responsible for the plumbing inside the walls, but the owner is responsible for a clogged drain pipe in the exclusive use portion of his pipes.
My clogged pipe occurred in the unit below me, Its a 35 year old pipe and I have lived here that long. During that time it started off as a shared pipe between me and the unit below. After the big earthquake the unit below me put in their own exclusive pipe. Where does this leave me because that pipe was shared for more than 15 years of its early life?. The HOA is not being responsive to lowering the repair bill below 50%, They want $1400 from me, the top unit, My pipe in the lower unit had the blockage and the replaced pipe in the lower unit is still working. I'm getting all the blame. Any thoughts? Thanks /Mike
Flag Sun Dec 6, 2015
Flag Sun Dec 6, 2015
Lot's of thumbs up here. Great answers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2012
we have been charged extra money to repair roofs and now the hoa is charging an extra 20 a month for water that we pay in our dues already is this legal plus higher our dues by 25.00 more a month
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2015
Generally they cover exterior maintenance, water, trash, insurance on the building (not the interior).
Let me know if I can help any of you further. Sandra Hatherley, Century 21 1st Choice, 619.887.6091 or sandrahcentury21@yahoo.com
Current and future building maintance, Insurance for the outside of your unit and if your lucky water/sewer/trash.
It is important to know the amount of the regular HOA assessments. But there are other aspects worthy of attention as well. Just as each home is different, so are homeowner's associations.

An HOA could be for the benefit of a small 4 unit condo complex or more than one thousand homes. Condominium ownership is very different than a Planned Unit Development, yet they both have an HOA and assessments. Some properties me be part of more than one HOA too. Large developments often have a master HOA covering a large area and smaller HOAs covering fewer homes. So, some homeowners will have more than one association to pay each month.

As an owner and board member in an association, I am often surprised by how much new owners don't know about the restrictions placed on them by the CC&Rs. Even though they receive a copy of them during the purchase process, some new owners find themselves shocked when they can't part their RV in the driveway, paint their front door purple, or put a second story on their home.

Robert Boerner
Gecko Realty
(619) 977-2262
Home Owners Association Fees generally covers :
- Common Area Maintenance
- Exterior (Landscaping)
- Roof Maintenance
- Trash Pickup

In addition, it may cover the following:
- Water / Hot water
- Exterior Bldg Maintenance
- Limited Insurance
- Termite

Yukiko Kitamura
CA DRE#01881909
http://www.sdfindhomes.com
(858)231-5265