Trulia San A…, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

Do you recommend that your clients change the locks after buying a home?

Asked by Trulia San Antonio, San Antonio, TX Thu May 2, 2013

Answers

16
Absolutely....For your own protection.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 6, 2013
Without a doubt. One never knows who may have a copy of the existing key, a friend, maintenance worker, relative of the former owner.

The small cost of having it re-keyed is worth all the peace of mind.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 3, 2013
I agree that the one time fee of replacing the locks is worth a lifetime of peace of mind. We moved into a new house once, and never replaced the key. We found out years later that someone else had a key to our house. This was very disconcerting for us! Now, we do not hesitate to change the locks in order to ensure that only members of our family have a key.
http://www.lilocksmith.com
Flag Tue Jan 20, 2015
We recommend that all of our buyers have their home rekeyed after they purchase a home. In San Antonio, you can get a locksmith to come out to the house after closing at a very affordable price, and it is not neccesary to change the door hardwae.
Absolutely change the locks. No reason not to, but all the reasons to do so.

For rentals, it is also a good idea to change the lock since one doesn't know how many people would have copies of the keys.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Yes definitely, as many agents, renters, and previous owner could
have got hold of the key.

Perry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Absolutely! You just can't be too careful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Always! I really like the new combination locks that have a keypad attached. This way all you do is change the code.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Of course, this is not an option. It needs to be done. I'm sure many people don't but that is just not a smart thing to do.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
Definitely change the locks, too many people have had access to the home during the transaction process.
Most Definately!!! For their safety this is so important. I usually give a gift certificate to Lowes or Home Depot and suggest they use it for lock changes....
Absoultely! There have been so many people in a home during selling, inspections, etc. I highly recommend it. If you have purcashed a Home Warranty with your home, many of them offer a re-key at a very reasonable rate. Many times, I offer to do this as a small house warming gift.
Always, always, always.....it's that important. We also often offer our customers a locksmith gift certificate as a closing gift.

One never knows where previous keys may have gone and who's hands they may be in.

This is one of trulia's better posts...
Absolutely! You never know who has a key for your lock out there. It's a fairly inexpensive way to give you piece of mind and anyone who is handy with a phillips screwdriver can install them within a few minutes.

-Steve Parsons
Prudential PenFed Realty
801 E Naylor Mill Road; Suite F
Salisbury, MD 21801
O) 410-912-4700 C)443-235-1240 F) 410-912-4701
The only locks that are changed out automatically by the seller are with new homes as they have been master keyed. If someone is buying anything other than a new home, for their security, locks should always be changed as you never know who has a key.

Christine Henderson
Changing Real Estate Dreams
Into Reality Since 1985
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate
Bradfield Properties
210-827-2858
ePRO, CRS, Green Specialist
http://www.MySanAntonioHome.net
Do you know someone who is interested in buying or selling real estate in the San Antonio market? I would appreciate the referral. I represent clients with new home builders, land sales or purchases, bank foreclosures and individual owners. If you know someone who is relocating away from the San Antonio area, I can refer them to a qualified agent in their new area to help them get settled.
Yes, most definitely. I recommend that the buyers change locks or re-key the locks after purchasing a hone for peace of mind and safety.
The locks are changed as part of the transaction in most cases.