Home Ownership in 10010>Question Details

Zulutun, Home Owner in New York, NY

Can the management / board of the CoOp billed you for fines after 5 moths.?

Asked by Zulutun, New York, NY Tue Jan 8, 2013

Answers

3
Zulutun’s answer
Thank you Joseph and Anna for reply. we bought apt and May and did rennovation to the apt. We moved in July. On Sept maintenance bill, we saw that there was previous balance amount of $400. We were unaware of why we had a previous balance amount until we called the number on the bill and I was informed that the amount was for fines assessed for various infractions. In our opinion we should not be issued with any fines as we were never notified (neither verbally nor in writing) when our contractor committed the first infraction. We should have received a written notice of the first fine that we were being assessed. We only learned about fines when we happened to see the President of the Board in the Lobby of the building and she then mentioned them to us. we were in contact with management during the whole period of renovation and they did not once mentioned about the fines. Nov, they put on another $500, we only fond it on Jan bill. Now when I question management they have not reply.
You are interestingly vague with your question. You make no mention as to what rule(s) you disregarded or what occured. I see no reason why they can't bill you after 5 months unless there is language as such in the house rules of the Coop. Check with an Attorney. I am anaware of any statute of limitation here as this is not a lawsuit. So, what did you do?
Without much information--check the rules and other related paperwork, or consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate, most professionals do offer a free consultation....