Home Ownership in 90210>Question Details

Friskey099, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Can a condo tell you you can only "make noise" Monday - Friday 9-5?

Asked by Friskey099, New York, NY Wed Dec 12, 2012

My condo has the stupid rule above which means if I want to hang a picture, put up a shelf, move my furniture, I have to take a day off work. Mostly because my downstairs neighbour is crazy and come up yelling all the time (sometimes when I'm not even doing anything!)

Is this allowed??? I can't take a day off work anytime I want to do anything around the house!

Answers

9
If you want to know whether this is allowed or not, you need to read the CC& R's that you received when you purchased your condo. In these documents you will find the rules and regulations of the community - and that will offer you the answer you're looking for.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 12, 2012
Dear Friskey,

Sorry to hear about your problem with the association and your neighbor. There do seem to be issues with upstairs neighbors and noise at times. I wonder if you have carpet on the floors? That seems to help somewhat. Unless you can convince the association to change the rules, I believe you have to abide by them or find another home.
OTHER PEOPLE LIVE IN THE SAME BUILDING!! WHERE YOU LIVE ! AND YOUR MAKING MAKE NOISE! SO REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT LIVING IN A, SINGLE FAMILY PRIVATE HOUSE! OTHER PEOPLE LIVE IN THE SAME BUILDING AS YOU! SO YOU MUST ABID BY THE RULE OF LAW ! READ YOUR BY LAWS!
YES YOU CAN GO TO JAIL ! READ THE BY, LAWS!! ITS NOT A, PRIVATE!!! HOME ! DUMB DUMB!
I'm not doing construction. I'm talking about hanging a picture, hanging a shelf, running the washing machine etc. Things that need to be done but I'm not taking a day off work to do laundry or hang a picture. Last time she came up I told her this was becoming harrassment.

I am not on the board.
If you are on the Board you can bring this up in a meeting. It may mean that you can't do construction outside of those hours. Other people work also, and I would hate to come home at night or be there over the weekend with the kind of noise construction would bring.
Web Reference: http://www.homejane.com
I have read the rules Cindy and it says reasonable noise can only be between 9-5 Monday to Friday but this rule seems unreasonable because people work during these times.
I'm in Toronto, Ontario this website only allowed a zip code which I don't have so I just picked one.

I am just so frustrated that I can't do anything in my unit on a Saturday afternoon without the person under me coming up and complaining. There has to be some rule that overrides this one and allows me to make reasonable noise on the weekend. I want to put up a shelf on Saturday and I know she will come up ... She always does.

Many times she has come up and I have told her I hear the noise too (which is not coming from my unit) but she thinks I am lying even though I am standing there talking to her and we still hear the noise. The neighbour under me is a pain BUT the rules do say noise only during 9-5 Monday to Friday.
Usually the quiet hours are usually 9am -9pm I have never heard 9am-5pm very strange, you might want to tell your neighbor that you both should go down to his unit when he hears noises....sometimes it comes from another unit. BTW where is your unit? I see New York, NY but the zip code is Beverly Hills,CA?

Endre Barath,Jr.
Prudential California Realty
Beverly Hills, CA

310.486.1002
homes@endrebarath.com
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com