Home Ownership in Allston>Question Details

Trulia Boston, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

As a homeowner renting out a property, what should I look for in a property management company? (Besides reviews)

Asked by Trulia Boston, Boston, MA Tue Feb 5, 2013

Answers

5
As a absentee landlord in the past, I would always look for what most clients and customers look for - a compnay and person within that company who cared more about my interests than their payday.

The fees (as I was shopping) seem to end up being fairly standard. Some companies would seem to charge more in one area of service than another and in the end they seemed to come out fairly even. Do shop fees of course and also shop value - like you would with a Realtor in a buy/seel scenario.

In the end the property management company that understood me and my goals the best and then projected their care of those goals was the one I ultimately was satisfied with - BTW, they were few and far bewteen back "in the day".

Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013

Reviews for a Property Management Company are important, so definitely don't ignore them. In addition to reviews, I would sit down face-to-face with the manager who will be assigned to your property, or at least have an interview with them over the phone or using Skype. Get a sense for how much experience they have before you hire them.

You'll also be able to get a sense for what their motives are. If you get the feeling that your prosperity and the healthy condition of of your property are foremost in their mind, you should hire them.

If you are in the Boston Area, I have somebody I can recommend provided you have not committed already to somebody you trust.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
I would look at their reviews online and meet them personally. When you meet people you get that good/bad vibe right away.

Best Of Luck
Seasonal or annual rentals...there is a big difference in the level of service between the two different types.
You should look at what each management company offers. Depending on the size of your property you can get different services provided. Also you should find out if they carry extra insurance as well as what time they are on call. Giver a call as I manage properties in the Boston area and can offer some assistance.
Web Reference: http://Realtyaplus.com