steelroofman, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

will my insurance rate go down if I replace my wood shake roof with a Class A Fire rated Metal roof?

Asked by steelroofman, San Jose, CA Sat Mar 30, 2013

Answers

5
You need to ask your insurance agent to be sure.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
It may or may not be lower. It is true that a metal roof would be harder to burn than a wood shake roof. The question isnt just if the rate is cheaper, but who will offer an insurance policy with a metal roof. Not all carriers will accept a metal roof which gives you access to less companies which may result in a higher rate for insurance. Not all companies write wood shake roofs either so it would be good for you to check around.

Your best bet before replacing your roof is to call your insurance agent and ask them to quote your home with a metal roof and see what they say. If they cant write the metal roof, you may have to call around for some insurance quotes from other agents. We quote many companies and we would love to give you a quote so you may compare your options. You can visit our website and quote your home insurance on our website and get an instant quote and see what the difference will be. Good luck.
I don't think your insurance rate would go up at all. In fact, usually improvements on your house can make your insurance rate go down. If your rate does in fact go up, I would recommend shopping around for a different insurance policy that will give you a better rate.
http://www.seinsurance.net/home-owners-insurance.php
Flag Fri Oct 31, 2014
Dear Steel:

To be frank, how much or "if" a premium will decrease depends greatly on the insurance company and the associated fire risks in your neighborhood. So to get the most accurate information, you need to contact your own agent for information. The agent will be able to review your files and will help you make a decision regarding the best type of roofing for your home.

If you're located in a forest or highly wooded area (for example, parts of Los Gatos and Saratoga and Monte Sereno), then replacing the roof with something less flammable could certainly yield some cost savings. However, if you're in a densely packed suburb, as are most homes, then the chance of fire beginning from a source outside of the home is probably less likely than from a source WITHIN the home. These risks will already have been factored into your home insurance premium, so the costs may not decrease greatly or at all.

So check with your agent for the best information. Also, I might add, that my experience with buyers is that they're not as enamored of a metal roof on a home as they are of tile, composition shingle or wood roofing. If you want to factor in "buyer appeal" for roofing, you might want to also consult your trusted Realtor for assistance.

Here is another vote for "Ask your insurer."
Your insurance agent is your best resource.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com