Home Insurance in Northport>Question Details

Puente98, Home Buyer in Northport, NY

what is the ball park cost of home insurance in long island, new york per square foot?

Asked by Puente98, Northport, NY Fri Nov 4, 2011

I am buying a 6600 square foot home, not on the water, with an inground swimming pool

Answers

7
@ Gail

Homeowners insurance does not cover land.

As for rating criteria, there's a TON of information taken into consideration when rating a risk...replacement cost being only one of them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
Puente,

Cost per square foot on Long Island varies and is based on several factors:

-ZIP code where the dwelling is located
-The insurance company that is rating the property
-How robust the policy is

For homes that have replacement cost values of $1 million or less, the policies that are written are more of a "cookie cutter" variety (e.g. standard HO3 forms). However, when you start getting into high valued homes ($1 million +), many of the standard companies will not write HO3's for insured's. When this happens, insured's will need to be placed with "premier" insurance companies (e.g. Chartis, Chubb, Fireman's Fund).

Premier insurance carriers offer many more policy features than standard carriers (e.g. all-peril coverage basis, basic flood included, etc.) This is due to the fact that these policies are customized based on special features and unique risk factors related to the dwelling. In order to accommodate full replacement of these homes should a total loss occur, the cost per square foot can be much higher for high valued homes (in some cases, by twice as much as compared to standard homes). But this is for the insured's protection.

Based on the data you provided (6600 square foot home in ZIP code 11768), Chartis rates your cost per square foot being between $340-$525. Thus, there's a good chance standard HO insurance carriers will not write an HO policy for you based on your replacement cost value being too high. And if they do offer you a policy, chances are you will be under-insured (standard carriers rate Suffolk County square foot values at around $180 give or take). Check the Coverage A limit of any quote you receive to make sure your dwelling value is at or near the $2.87 million neighborhood.

I noticed you mentioned you are "not on the water". Remember, a carrier considers a dwelling being in a flood prone area when it is near any form of tidal waters. This means if you have a river that flows to/from the sound passing within a mile of your property, you are technically near the water from an insurance company's perspective. Run a map quest on the address in question to see if there are any rivers passing through your area.

I highly recommend you seek out an insurance broker on Long Island as opposed to walking in to your local standard carrier agency. They are not setup for your risk type.
New York State does not permit a Lender to require Hazard Insurance in excess of the "replacement cost" of the home. The replacement cost is found on the appraisal your Lender will provide you prior to closing.

I have been a local Mortgage Banker in the NY Metro Region since 1989. I don't know about price per sq. foot for insurance. I DO know that the average annual premium for Homeowner's Insurance in our area for a Single Family Home runs from $900-1500 with $1200 annual premium being the most often quoted premium in my experience.

Trevor Curran NMLS #40140
Web Reference: http://tcurranmortgage.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
Your Dwelling Insurance is calculated by Length x Width x Hight.
If your buying a ranch this for example would be 30x40x 1(floor)
If buying a cape with eaves on the 2nd floor approximately half the living space on 2nd floor
then the calculation would be 30x40x 1.5(floors)
a 2 story 30x 40x 2(floors)
and the average Dwelling Replacement Cost right now for an Average Home is $150 per square ft.
the average price for higher end homes ie; granite kitchen and crown moldings catagory is aproximately
$200-$250 per sqaure ft.
Your land is covered under liability (it does not burn) and also your foundation is not included in the replacement costs either ( cement).
The prices may vary. My advice is to contact a local professional to get a solid quote.
I hope this information helps. lloyd.gore@cbmoves.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
For an accurate picture of costs, contact a few local insurance companies, and ask for free quotes; then choose the product that best suits your needs....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
Contact Dave Robitaille State Farm for an accurate quote - 631-462-1717.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 5, 2011
I am not sure that it is computed by the square foot, as much as the replacement value and the land value.

I would be happy to recommend my insurance broker to you who could give you a quote. Let me know.

Gail@GailGladstone.com