Home Insurance in 94110>Question Details

Akbar, Home Buyer in Noe Valley, San Fran...

recently gusty winds damaged the wooden fence of my house in SF. Is the damage covered by Home Owner's Insurance Policy as an standard loss?.?

Asked by Akbar, Noe Valley, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 15, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


It is almost certainly covered. Check with your insurance agent so you can replace or repair as soon as possible.

Raymond Autry, GRI, ASD, ABI
Broker Associate
The Professional Group
(415) 799-2650
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
I think they usually are. I talked to this fencing company and they really helped me out. http://www.jayfencing.com//products/category/34
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 16, 2013
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Akbar, you will need to contact your homeowners insurance and ask if this is part of your coverage. On a typical Homeowner Insurance policy, weather-related damage to your fence is covered under 'Other Structures' - it is also subject to the amount of your deductible.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Google "Good Neighbor Fence Law" and see if it applies to your situation and go from there. The insurance company will probably bring this up if you file a claim

Cary Chan
2800 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, Ca. 94109
America's Cup Housing Provider
Direct: 415-424-2358
Office: 415-447-2037
Fax: 415-573-2244
Email: cchan@amsiemail.com
DRE# 01319108
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Fencing is usually covered by the other structures coverage on your policy. If you have wind coverage and other structures coverage then you should be covered. They will pay to replace the fence minus the deductible. You may want to get an estimate first to discover if its even worth making a claim. Every claim can raise your rates for 5 years so you want to make sure it is worth it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Check with your agent, but depending on the damage it may be cheaper to fix if you have a high deductible. After you know what your coverage is check with a contractor to assess your best option.

Best Regards,

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License # 01384425
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
It depends on your insurance policy and deductibles. Also if the fence was damaged entirely by the wind or if there were other contributing causes like rot and neglect.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
Of course document the damage in photos and look at your policy first.
Your homeowner's policy should cover this!
If you have a large deductible, it may not make sense to make a claim.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer