Home Insurance in 94110>Question Details

Akbar, Home Buyer in Noe Valley, San Fran...

recently gusty winds damaged the wooden fence of my house in SF. Is the damage covered by Home Owner's Insurance Policy as an standard loss?.?

Asked by Akbar, Noe Valley, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 15, 2013

Answers

8
It can be really difficult sometimes to get this kind of thing figured out. You should check any insurance documents that you have. If you can't find the information there, you should talk to your insurance agent. With that help you should be able to figure out if this damage is covered. If it's not you're probably going to need to find a good company to help you put a new fence in place of the old one, or just to repair it if that's all it needs.
http://www.leadersfence.com
It is almost certainly covered. Check with your insurance agent so you can replace or repair as soon as possible.

Raymond Autry, GRI, ASD, ABI
Broker Associate
The Professional Group
sanfranciscorealtyteam.com
(415) 799-2650
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
That's a great idea, Raymond! I had the same thing happen to me just a few days ago. It was a bummer, because I had just put up the fence a few days prior to the storm. I will have to check with my agent and see if it's covered by my insurance. I'm sure it is. http://www.amazingfencing.com.au/products/timber-fencing/
Flag Fri Jan 16, 2015
Most minor damage caused by nature is covered in policies. Of course checking with your agent will be the quickest way to check on that. We had our fence damaged by a tree falling over. We were lucky that it didn't hurt anything but the fence. We even got to have the replacement made out of wood like we wanted it to be.
http://www.buyrningwood.com
Flag Fri Jan 9, 2015
I HAVE TO THANK ALL FOR THE PROFESSIONALS ANSWERS. I AM OVERWHELMED. APPRECIATE ALL. AKBAR
Akbar, you will need to contact your homeowners insurance and ask if this is part of your coverage. On a typical Homeowner Insurance policy, weather-related damage to your fence is covered under 'Other Structures' - it is also subject to the amount of your deductible.
Fencing is usually covered by the other structures coverage on your policy. If you have wind coverage and other structures coverage then you should be covered. They will pay to replace the fence minus the deductible. You may want to get an estimate first to discover if its even worth making a claim. Every claim can raise your rates for 5 years so you want to make sure it is worth it.
Check with your agent, but depending on the damage it may be cheaper to fix if you have a high deductible. After you know what your coverage is check with a contractor to assess your best option.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker

King Realty Group
Cell: 415.722.5549
Email: lance@king-realtygroup.com
License # 01384425
It depends on your insurance policy and deductibles. Also if the fence was damaged entirely by the wind or if there were other contributing causes like rot and neglect.
Of course document the damage in photos and look at your policy first.
Your homeowner's policy should cover this!
If you have a large deductible, it may not make sense to make a claim.