Nancy, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

high end replacement per square foot cost san francisco. Dwelling with fireplace, laundry room basement and garage on same lower level

Asked by Nancy, San Francisco, CA Sun Feb 27, 2011

Answers

4
amyleerealty@gmail.com
415-420-3526
License: 01789891

Costhelper.com is a good web site to start with. You can find other useful info.
Web Reference: http://www.costhelper.com/
Do not forget to include damage to the structures that exist on-top, behind, or on either side of your dwelling. Also, one of the largest costs when rebuilding a structure is the demolition of a structure after a building. For a small home it can cost $50k (in the blink of an eye). I'd estimate you set aside at least $30.00 for demolition- the removal of debris and the clearing of the lot in preparation of the new home. A good insurance adjuster should think of that detail, but it doesn't always work that way.

$200 to $250 per sqft. in this market is a bit low for San Francisco. I'd be more comfortable with a $250 to $300.00 level, if you have special features, you may way to kick it up to $350 to $400. Keep in mind that in the event of an earthquake that caused substantial damage to the city, construction costs would sky rocket, as there would be lack of construction workers, and materials. I don't recommend over-insuring and paying a needlessly high premium, but the worst situation you can be in, is finding yourself underinsured after a catastrophic loss.

I certainly hope that never happens.

Eric Abrams
CA Real Estate Broker

Eric
Replacement should be $200 to $250 per square foot. I say this from my experience buying insurance, working as a construction project coordinator doing insurance repairs and having done my own expansion remodel.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Nancy,

Would you like the contact info for a couple of great local insurance agents? If so, just drop me a line.

Oggi Kashi
Paragon Real Estate Group DRE 01844627
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/