Diane Ristau, Home Buyer in Clearwater Beach, FL

flood insurance costs?

Asked by Diane Ristau, Clearwater Beach, FL Thu Apr 25, 2013

Answers

2
Jim Olive’s answer
Flood insurance is the best bargain of all the types of home insurance (flood, windstorm, homeowners, contents). That's because Uncle Sammy subsidizes it and makes taxpayers across the US chip in to help pay for policies in areas prone to flooding. As a homeowner up in the Mountains of NH, I'm not so crazy about that, but sure am grateful for it with respect to my home down here in the islands!!
Best thing you can do is call an insurance company and get a quote. Flood insurance is federally funded, just about any home owners insurance company should be able to help you. Make sure you also understand completely what is and is not covered under the flood insurance policy. Here contents of basements in flood zones are not covered. Many people finish their basements, or use them for storage, then when the floods come everything is lost and insurance will not cover the damage. Just make sure you are very clear as to how this all works.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 26, 2013