Home Insurance in 30327>Question Details

Drew, Home Owner in Atlanta, GA

What happens when you buy a house with a clean title and than find out the county is sending you Tax bills for years you did'nt own it.?

Asked by Drew, Atlanta, GA Fri Oct 19, 2012

A FIFA lien was sent for the property

Jeff Wilmoth has the correct answer below. Do you have title insurance? Hopefully your agent instructed you to purchase title insurance. If you did, as Jeff informs you....let them hndle it. If you failed to get title insurance, you could be stuck wih the tax bill. Your only recourse if you do not have title insurance is to determine if the closing attorney has made an error recognized as wrongful act in Georgia. (Case history should be available). Put the closing attorney on notice of a failure to properly represent your interst in this tax matter. If you secured a Loan, then the attorney has some possible "duty" to protect you since he is also representing your lender. Georgia has a quicky set of rules where you sign papers with an attorney you think is serving you but he may only be there primarily for the Seller/Bank. He is merely a "transaction agent" for you.

Shame on your agent if He/She did not advise you on Title Insurance. Ultimately it is your responsibiolity.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
My Title Insuranace Co. is trying to play insurance dates on me a nd stick me with the bill.
Flag Thu Nov 1, 2012
Thanks everyone. I purchased Title Insurance. The closing attorney has sent me their copy that they obtained which shows zero dollars owed. But, when i checked the county tax website it shows taxes owed for previous years. I have sent a letter to the Tax commissioner. I have administrative experience to help me pursue this issue , but this situation make me feel bad for other homeowners who could be traumatised by this event.
I have been issued an Intent to issue FIFA and i am hoping this will be resolved before a Lien is issued.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
Informing the County as to the Date on your HUD-1 will make no difference since they obviously know you have purchased or they wouldn't be sending youi bills. Remember, past due taxes surive closing. Again, your attorney needs to resolve this matter.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
You send a copy of the HUD to the tax office showing the date of purchase and also contact the closing attorney to do the same thing.

Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
It could be a mistake from the county , even an exception on your title insurance policy, Or one of the terms of the purchase agreement that the will pay the back taxes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
Hi Drew,
You would need to contact the closing attorney's office that handled your closing. They are the ones to handle all title related issues.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
This is an example of WHY YOU SHOULD BUY TITLE INSURANCE when you purchase a home. This could be handled by th etitle insurance company, but if title insurance was not purchased, then you are responsible for the bill.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
If you purchased owner's title insurance contact the title policy insurer and/or the attorney who closed your transaction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 19, 2012

Generally the closing attorney preforms a search and pays outstanding tax bills. If you purchased without an attorney, at the courthouse steps, or just took a deed from a seller you will be getting an expensive lesson. If the attorney charged you for the search and missed the the bills and can not recover from the seller, you probably have a claim against the attorney.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 19, 2012
Hi Drew, couldn't have said it any better than Steve did ... contact the closing attorney and get
a valid explanation.

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton, Realtor
Keller Williams
C/404 234 9418
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 19, 2012
Contact the closing attorney. They have some splainin' to do. I hope you purchased title insurance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 19, 2012
If the title company charged for insurance, should not they handle it even if the buyer did not buy their own insurance? Explain how that would work.