Home Insurance in 10956>Question Details

Lois Berman, Other/Just Looking in 10956

Water problems from latest floods? has home insurance covered any of the costs for damage or repair?

Asked by Lois Berman, 10956 Tue Apr 6, 2010

I have a high ranch and my downstairs had a few inches of water. My pergo floors and carpet are ruined and I am aftaid of mold growing.

Help the community by answering this question:


allan erps,ABR,SFR’s answer
Hi Lois, Dealing with a few issues as well. Insurance companies only like to be paid, not to pay out. Regarding possible mold, if you wish to tackle this yourself(bleach and water, wear a mask, open windows, 16 parts water/1 part bleach).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 6, 2011

Apparently, I have "sump pump failure" coverage as part of my homeowner's policy (with no "cap" - a really good thing, as many policies are capped at $10,000, and my claim will be much higher).............I had no idea I had it , but one thing I never skimped on was insurance! Glad I didn't!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 6, 2010
Actually, Lois, your home may very well be covered if it flooded due to certain circumstances. You need to call your insurance agent, and read your policy. Don't waste any time doing that!

I discovered 2 inches of water in my finished basement a few days following the big storm on March 13. I had never had a drop of waater in my basement in the 11 years I have lived here, and I never even heard the sump pump turn on!

It turns out my sump pump died, and my flood ensued...............I am covered for ALL of the damage due to the flood and replacement cost of my personal belongings (minus my small $250 deductible)..........I am not covered for replacement of the pump (was told I would have been if it had been hit by lightening! weird, eh?).....anyway, I am in the midst of getting my paperwork together. State Farm is my insurance company, and so far they have been great. I already got 1 check in excess of $10,000 to cover most of the clean up and repair/structural work. State Farm is working with the restoration company owner to fine tune the amount to make sure I am fully covered .....including new wall-to-wall carpeting, sheetrock, ceiling tiles, doors, etc..

I still haven't put in my claim for my personal property. I am preparing to get that to them in the next day or so. It's a long list, as I had one room furnished as a bedroom/den...plus a lot of items in the storage room. Pretty much everything was discarded.
They (St Farm) really seem to be working quickly to help their customers.

It was important to get the wet sheetrock and woodwork out before mold could start growing. The company I used sprayed an anti bacterial spray....left industrial sized dehumidifiers and blowers for several days, and also used some kind of sealant. Now the repair work will begin in the next week or so.

I suggest you put a call into your insurance agent's office right away.

Good luck, and I hope you are covered!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 6, 2010
Home owners insurance does NOT cover flooding. You need FLOOD insurance for that.

Check with your insurance agent, but I will give you a 99% guarantee that flooding (unless something like a broken pipe) is not covered.

I would pull out the carpet and dry things out.

p.s. questions like this one are why I will NEVER buy a house in a 500 year flood zone.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 6, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer