Home Insurance in Rydal>Question Details

Tammy C, Home Buyer in 19046

Our homeowners ins co wants an inspsection on our house ( we've already settled and had a home inspection prior to the purchase). Is this?

Asked by Tammy C, 19046 Thu Mar 18, 2010

common? At our previous home, we had our mortgage and homeowners through the same company. For the new home, we were able to get a better morgage rate through another company. We've kept our homeowners with the prior company. We gave them all the details of the home prior to purchase and they gave us a quote ( not saying that it was contingent on anything). Now I feel like they're just trying to jack up our rates. They will not accept a copy of our initial home inspection. I'm just wondering if this is a commoon situation since we aren't carrying the mortgage with them anymore.

Answers

4
David Beck’s answer
I know how you must feel. However, I will tell you this is more common than you think.

Unfortunately, these are the types of questions you need to be asking up front. Your Realtor and your mortgage person should have suggested you asked these types of questions when shopping as I do with my clients. You left your previous mortgage company over the interest rate because you were shopping for the "best deal" and what you saved on one end I hope does not cost you in another.

The best types of people to deal with in any industry are the ones that not only answer your questions, but have have enough experience to answer questions for you that you may have never thought to ask or that have the foresight to protect you from you.

Have a nice day.
Your homeowners insurance inspection is free, they are just checking to see the property is being occupied and to see if there are any pre-existing conditions that would warrant them to pay for now. I wouldn't worry about it. It is common for all purchases. It usually is done prior to closing, so they are doing that part backwards. But nothing to worry about.
The best source to answer your question is your insurance agent--keep in mind that if you are not happy so far with the insurance company, you have others to choose from.
I have never heard of this happening at all. Sometimes insurance companies want inspections ore certifications for the roof and information on the systems, but I have never had the experience of an insurance company requiring an inspection. If you would like information on other insurance companies, please feel free to contact me.