Home Insurance in 01760>Question Details

Chinta, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

My home insurance was cancelled one month after closing. The agency gave the reason that the insured property is not occupied.

Asked by Chinta, Boston, MA Fri Jul 5, 2013

My closing was June 3. I plan to move in mid July because the house needs some repairs and I still have my apartment lease until August 31. What should I do?

Help the community by answering this question:


Christine Norcross, MBA’s answer
I would call your insurance agent. If you need a new reference for an insurance agent then call Bender insurance. Nancy Bender does a great job and can help you. You should be able to explain and get a policy for vacant home. Many people purchase a home and then do work prior to moving in so you are not the only one.

I had a smilar problem with a home I owned and I solved it by talking with my agent on what I could do to get it fixed. Ideally you don't want to have your insurance canceled. They usually send you notices and give you a heads up prior to cancelation.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 6, 2013
Call your insurance agent now. Your loan could be called.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 5, 2013
Get a vacant policy that allows repair work to be done. A vacant policy alone may not cover you if you are making repairs to the building. The vacant policy will cover you until you move in and keep you in compliance with your mortgage companies insurance requirement. When you have a move in date, get a homeowners policy to start on that date and you will not have a problem. We can help you with your short term vacant insurance needs if you dont already have an agent that can do that for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 5, 2013
I would move a bed, a chair, and cooking tools into it.
Then I would get a phone there.
Then I would sleep there at least one day.

That may help your cause.
I would contact a local insurance professional to help with this answer and to save time and money.
Try not to say you aren't living there, unless you really aren't staying there at all.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 5, 2013
Hi Chinta,
You want to get a Vacant Home Insurance Policy immediately. These can cost 2 to 5 times the amount of your regular insurance policy, but often can be purchased monthly.

You want to do this now, because banks sometimes send out representatives to determine whether the home is vacant and if it is they can change the locks and notify the bank that the home is vacant. The bank may then take out insurance to insure that vacant home and send the bill to you or worst call on your loan immediately.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 5, 2013
Individual insurance companies vary in the way they view house sitters. Having a house sitter or neighbor check on your property may not make a difference to your insurance company, since the property is not occupied by the owner.
Coverage for a vacant home will be more restricted than regular home insurance, covering standard perils such as fire and wind, but not perils such as water damage due to frozen pipes, glass breakage or vandalism
Home insurance companies typically require you to contact them and request an endorsement or a special permit for a home that will be unoccupied for 30 or more consecutive days. In some cases, you may be charged for the permit or endorsement.

Some insurance companies allow homes to be unoccupied for 60 days before requiring notification. The time limit is stated in the policy.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 5, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer