Home Insurance in Detroit>Question Details

ti2juan, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

Is it common to have your property manager as "co-insured?"

Asked by ti2juan, Detroit, MI Fri Jan 3, 2014

Answers

4
It is ok to have your management companies as co-insured if you purchase insurance for your rental properties and handle all the payments, . Be very careful to purchase property insurance through your managers' Master insurance policy. Then you don't have the control of it. We just had a horrified experience with our former managers Ronald Weaver and Kimberly Weaver in Management Systems Residential in Detroit.

Our former managers have let our property insurance coverage under their master insurance policy lapse for 6 months due to non-payment while still deducting from our rents to pay for the insurance premiums, and exposed our properties and tenants to tremendous risks and liabilities. After we found it out directly from SWBC insurance company about the cancellation on Dec 30th, 2013, Ron Weaver blamed it was a middle agency’s fault.

After MSR reinstated our insurance under their master policy, we had a claim payout from SWBC sent directly to MSR for one vandalised property for a total of over $14,000 in March 2014. Ten months have already passed, we haven’t received a penny from MSR.

The insurance company normally sent the claim payout to the insurer under Master Policy, so it is up to the managers to pass the claimed funds to their clients. I reached out to SWBC for help, Ron Weaver even ignored their request to forward the funds to me. I had to take legal action and got court judgement against MSR to collect money. They ignored the court judgement and still didn't pay.
So it is wise not to use the managers master policy to purchase insurance at all.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 27, 2014
Hard to do because then the insurance company assumes the risk of the property management company. They can request to be listed as a certificate holder so they can be notified if your policy cancels. The property management company should have general liability and errors and ommissions insurance for their mistakes and you have insurance for your risk.
Occasionally I see this, landlords asking to beset a co-insured on renters insurance.
Web Reference: http://sellquickAZ.com
I have not heard that before. I have my own property management company and I have my own insurance. aabrams2011@gmail