Home Insurance in Houston>Question Details

Carl,  in Houston, TX

I have 5 rent properties in my name with HO and umbrella liablity insurance.. If I transfer these to an LLC how do I cover liability for the LLC??

Asked by Carl, Houston, TX Thu Mar 31, 2011

I am trying to protect my non rent property assets. It seems to cover liability within the LLC a business general liability and umbrella must be purchased.??

Help the community by answering this question:


I would consult with an accountant, and insurance agent and (if necessary) perhaps an attorney.

Best of luck to you,

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 31, 2011
Please consult an attorney AND a CPA on this question. Realtors are not qualified to provide you with (credible) professional advice on this matter.


Real Estate Brenda
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 31, 2011
From an insurance standpoint, most agents would write your llc with a commercial policy. The coverages are different from a the dwelling policies you have currently, but the coverages are more appropriate because a company has different liability risks than a person does. So you would need a commercial policy with property and liability coverage, you should investigate a commercial auto policy, and possible an umbrella to give you higher liability limits at a lower cost. Good luck. BTW, we are licensed in Texas if you need an agent to work with.

The Home Insurance Specialists
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 1, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer