Home Insurance in 75206>Question Details

Matt Johnson, Real Estate Pro in Dallas, TX

How to retrieve a copy of a title insurance policy from a defunct title company?

Asked by Matt Johnson, Dallas, TX Fri Jul 26, 2013

I'm trying to find a copy of the title insurance policy for a house I purchased in 1998. The Dallas, TX company I bought the policy from (American Title Company) is no longer in business and I've been unable to determine who inherited their policies when they closed their doors. The mortgage company used for the original closing has also closed. I have the HUD from the closing, but not the title policy itself.

Answers

4
Just curious - are you trying to make a claim? I'm always curious about that since it's very rare to file a claim. Your best bet is the Texas Department of Insurance at tdi.texas.gov. They won't have the copy, but should be able to help you trace find the information you need to find out who CAN get you a copy.
Perhaps the office in your area closed, but according to this website (https://www.americantitlehouston.com/), the company is still active. I would try giving them a call. They may be able to trace your policy.

If you are planning on selling your property, you will need to order new title insurance. The old policy is unnecessary and you can use any local title company that you wish. All title companies do the same type of title search so there is no worry about a "lapse" of coverage.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 26, 2013
Thanks all for your feedback.

Simon, I thought the same thing regarding American Title in Houston, but after speaking with them earlier in the week they confirmed they are unaffiliated with American Title that was in Dallas in the 1990s.

Kim, my next call will be to the Texas Dept of Insurance to find out where my policy landed.

Thanks again.
You might want to call another title company to ask for advice or a real estate attorney.