Home Insurance in Las Vegas>Question Details

Vegasanchor, Other/Just Looking in Las Vegas, Las Vegas,...

How can I find out the cost per sq. ft. to rebuild a house in Las Vegas, NV?

Asked by Vegasanchor, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV Thu Oct 1, 2009

I think I'm getting jerked around by my insurance company. How can I find out the cost per sq. ft. to rebuild a house in Las Vegas, NV? They're pricing my homeowners policy at $150/sq.ft replacement cost!

Answers

2
Hi Vegasanchor,

I don't know if you'd want to have a generic valley-wide figure for insuring your home. For actual building replacement costs there are a number of variables in the materials used, type and quality of construction, etc. For example, a 3000 sf. luxury or custom would obviously have a higher build cost than a basic model tract home. For something exact you'd want to speak with an appraiser for a specific property.

For a ball park comparison figure you could possibly check with the Clark Co. assessor's office. They use the annually updated Marshall & Swift Building Cost Service to determine appraisal value for property taxes. The amount they list for improvements is based on that replacement cost information, minus depreciation, and land value listed separately. You could inquire what figure they used for your home's replacement cost. It of course wouldn't include any specific upgrades to the home, particularly any expensive cosmetic renovations that could be done without requiring a building permit.

Roberta
Web Reference: http://RobertaLaRocca.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 1, 2009
Well,

Going by the Marshall & Swift Building Cost Service the range is from $36 to $129 depending on the size and quality of the construction.

The average 2300 sqft home with land already purchased is about $56 with top of the line upgrades throughout the home and about $98 dollars a square foot if you want to include an average lot.

These averages are from the top three communites accross the valley.

So... to sum up... 2300 sqft home is about 200K-250K depending on the options.

Thus, $150 will cover the replacement cost as there are building permit fees and demo and removal of the old prop. So, they are in line --- if you are using the top end of the scale and factoring in the standard 5-10 year value adjustments.

But, if you think prices will start to take off again...look at also getting gap insurance to cover rising costs in the future. $150 now may be $250 10 years from now.