Home Insurance in Garland>Question Details

Ashley Oney, Home Buyer in Garland, TX

Homeowners insurance

Asked by Ashley Oney, Garland, TX Sun May 27, 2012

I was just curious what is the average price for homeowners insurance in garland, tx. I am buying a house for 111k. It is 3 br 2 ba, 1644 sq ft. It has a swimming pool w a self latching gate, fireplace (which I'll never use) I've been getting quotes from $100-250/ mth. I was just wondering if that is the price range I should be looking for the quotes at. I was told I could probably be able to get it for $50 a month since it is a smaller house.

Please let me know if you need more info

Answers

6
We use an estimate of 1/2 to 1% of the value of the house to give people an idea of what insurance will cost, but that's not a promise.
A lot of factors go into the quote you'll get:
1. Value of the Property
2. Amount of the Deductible (fixed $ amounts are usually higher than 1% or 2%, but look out!)
3. Other risk factors (some companies check your credit to decide your risk) and you might have a pool or live in certain zipcodes with higher losses.
4. Inflation protection
5. Straight insurance or replacement cost - are they going to pay you back at depreciated value minus deductible or at replacement cost? If your straight coverage is too low, will you be subject to co-insurance payment?

The point about deductibles cannot be overemphasized. If your roof is heavily damaged by wind or hail, how much will you be out of pocket? A 2% deductible policy may be cheap, but your $6,000 roof will take $2200 out of your pocket if your house is valued at $110k.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 28, 2012
We would love to give you a free quote. Go to our website and you can request a quote online.
I'm not an insurance agent but have had enough policies to know that is extremely high shouldn't be more than 80/mo in my opinion for that size home.

Call, email or text with any questions, concerns or if you would like me to help in your search.

Best Regards
John Greer
Realtor/SFR/ABR
214-460-8381 Cell/Text
jgreer@unitedrealestatedallas.com
http://www.johngreerhomes.com
Sounds high to me.
Are you going to live in as your primary residence?
Are there past claims?
Are you getting a multipolicy discount as well?

My guess is about $750 year.
primary resident, no claims in past, yes i was doing multipolicy and it still ended up being $100/mth
Flag Mon May 28, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
If you are a veteran, or immediate family member of a veteran, you may qualify for membership with USAA. Their hazard insurance can be bundled with car insurance for an awesome discount. Have a blessed day!
Ronda
Yes, I am a veteran. I will check there as well Thanks :)
Flag Sun May 27, 2012
Best to confer with insurance agents be outside of scope of knowledge a Realtor would know based on many factors involved in pricing insurance, including your credit scores .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
I have compared with some local agents. I know of gieco, progressive and allstate. never really bought a house before... Haven't really heard of any besides those.
Flag Sun May 27, 2012