Home Insurance in Pensacola>Question Details

Sheila, Home Owner in Shalimar, FL

Has anyone who contacted local and state legislators have any new information concering the aluminum wiring issue in Florida?

Asked by Sheila, Shalimar, FL Tue Apr 26, 2011

Answers

5
I have dealt extensively with this issue of aluminum wiring in Pensacola. I was quoted in the Pensacola News Journal on the issue recently. As far as I know, the only insurance company that will insure a home with aluminum wiring is Citizens, and you need to use a special kind of "pigtail" to connect aluminum to copper wiring in all your outlets. No other insurance company has stepped forward and agreed to insure even with pig tailing the wiring. When my husband and I decided to rewire our home, the electrician found burnt wire, and burnt insulation. In my opinion, we were living on borrowed time until we had a fire. Since my 91 year old father who can't walk lives with us, I sleep better knowing we have eliminated the possibility of a fire caused by aluminum wiring. I believe the figure is that you are 53% more likely to have a fire if you have aluminum wiring instead of copper.
Citizens Insurance has decided to insure aluminum wiring with certain limitations, heres a link for you http://www.insureme.com/home-insurance/florida-aluminum-wiring
Web Reference: http://www.pensacolaism.com
Hello Sheila,
The problem with insuring homes with aluminum wiring essentially began with Citizens Insurance, the State of Florida sponsored insurance company. Citizens last year began refusing to write insurance on homes with aluminum wiring. After considerable pressure by the legislature and others, Citizens recently agreed to allow a "retro fix" for such homes. Electrical contractors may now upgrade these homes by using devices that are designed to connect aluminum wiring to copper receptacles and other fixtures. These devices reduce the threat of "arcing" which has been the perceived concern about aluminum wiring and copper-wired fixtures. The "fix" is about $1500 for a typical home compared to $8,000-$12,000 for a complete re-wire. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to contact me for additional information about this issue.
Shelia~Mike McCombs at Mccomb's Electric is a local advisor to the legislators. He is very up to the minute with what is going on with the aluminum wiring issue. He will give you great advise. His number is 994-5467.